is this safe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is this safe

i took the air box lid of my 2001 recon. not only does it sound cool but it also gave me some more power. but will this hurt the motor i would rather keep it on than risk engine relibility. i don't see were it would hurt it because it is still breathing through the stock air filter. thanks for the help.

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: is this safe

its probly ok but wont it get a load of crap in the airbix and if it gets into your carb.....ull have problems. it gave u more power? like does it run higher or rev quicker?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:51 PM
Pete

With less restriction, you're getting more air and leaning out the fuel/air mixture. This is often a bad thing on a two stroke unless you jet up to compensate. I don't know how much your four stroke is affected.
Check your plugs. If they look overheated, you need more fuel. My guess is that you will need to rejet.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:56 PM
cleartoy

You may have to go up a size richer. Check your plug. You want a light cocoa brown color.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

believe it or not my plug is that perfect light brown still like it was before i took the lid off. i am gonna keep it off and maybe tommarrow pull the filter off and make sure that the intake tract and carb is still clean. i prob. put it back on when it gets dusty though. oh well thanks for the help

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what kind of filter are you using? this is normally safe as long as the jetting is correct or you change the jetting to make it correct. the jetting isnt really affected as much on a 4 stroke as it is on a 2 stroke. if you are using a foam filter and dont ride in really dusty conditions you should be ok. if you are using a K&N filter, just get a Outerwear pre-filter and put on it and then you should be ok. just watch that you dont submerge it under water up to that high (the top of the airbox). hope this helps.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah i am using the stock honda foam airfilter.
it is still running great with no changes to the carburator.
anyway thanks for the help cdk357.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no problem, glad i could help. just out of curiousity, how much more power did it give your quad? i have always wondered what it would do for a four stroke. thanks.

<font color=blue>Life is short, RIDE HARD!</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it gave it pretty good power really. it did not give it real throttle response but as soon as it turns to i guess 2000 rpm's it really hits! wheelies are a whole lot easier. as soon as the front end starts down, instead of shifting my weight i can just hit the gas and the power picks it back up. plus something else i noticed is that it pulls the higher gears much better after slowing down. before i would have to downshift when going around turns to get the back end to slide out now i just gas it and the back come's around. i could kick myself for not doing it earlier. plus it sounds so damn cool!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool man, sounds like your happy. sometimes the simplest and the cheapest mods are the best.

<font color=blue>Life is short, RIDE HARD!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode