Any help?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any help??

Alrighty I have been reading this board for awhile now (lost my ID) over on the Chevy board, I will be paying off the truck soon so I am looking at a quad actually there are 3 of us going to buy pretty soon.
My brothers (2) are dead set on 4x4 1 wants Polaris the other wants a kawi, I on the other hand are contemplating a bunch of different quads.
I am 6' 185 pounds (from what I have read you want all the info. I can give so..)the riding I am looking at doing I can't find a quad to fit.
I am pretty sure no quad that I have read about is a perfect fit but there are some good ones I do want a 4 stroke for durability they seem to be more reliable that's where it stops, I want to be able to keep up on the same trail as the 4x4's since I will ride with them the most but there are some banshee's running around really close and 1 Honda 400 EX that I know of that ride a lot and it looks hella-fun.
The riding I will be doing is some farm fields, river sand pretty good size hills but at least 4 times a year in the Colorado Mountains elk hunting (plus deer hunting around our place, snow cold that kinda thing) and that type of riding around my house (summer time) in the sand hills and farm mud pits I wouldn't want a 4x2 to get stuck but I want good speed and air time with some hills being great for jumping but yet I want the go anywhere 4x4 to keep up with the others in the group (know one likes to suck hind ,,,) No reverse for the 400 EX has got to get old but the no wheel travel or very limited of a 4x4 can't be any fun.
Also I snow is a major factor since October till April is pretty much all snow here.
What kind of suggestions do you guys have ?
I notice the wolverine is a sport until type quad but will a 300 cc keep up with a 500 Polaris ?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: Any help??

well from what i just read....it sounds more like u want a sport quad then a 4x4 util....
the 4x2 machines are not that heavy so if and when ya get it stuck....it aint that heavy...no 4x4 util is going to keep up on the sporting side...

now you want to keep up with all of them...but i seem to read in that you want a lil extra...hehehe...from the terrain you are riding on...i recommend something with some power....something that has enough to do it all....

my choices:
1. Raptor
2. 400EX
3. Warrior
4. 300EX

as far as the 4x4 utils.I am not 100% sure what is the best...cuz i dont ride them regularly...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

airborn is correct about the diff. of 4x4 vs 4x2 but you cant have both. I would think you would want more of a 4x4 since you will be riding in alot of mud snow and of course hunting. I live in colorado and i ride a Raptor and i can tell you that when we get the heavy wet snows as we usually do the Raptor just sits in the garage cause 4x2's suck in the snow. Also as this weekend proves they are not that great in the thick mud either. and while they arent as heavy as the 4x4's, trying to pull a 400+ lb (with all the mud)machine outa mud hole with 10lbs of mud caked on each foot really sucks. I also have a 500 4x4 scrambler. it is still somewhat sporty although heavy. it can do jumps but big air is not recomended, with ALOT more effort it can hold its own on the trails, but when it comes to mud snow or just ****ty terrain the "on demand 4x4" really, really helps. you can carry an extra 60lbs of gear on front and rear racks where most sport models dont have racks. and polaris makes a ton of add-ons (gun racks and such). just my 2cents worth hope it helps

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

airborn is correct about the diff. of 4x4 vs 4x2 but you cant have both. I would think you would want more of a 4x4 since you will be riding in alot of mud snow and of course hunting. I live in colorado and i ride a Raptor and i can tell you that when we get the heavy wet snows as we usually do the Raptor just sits in the garage cause 4x2's suck in the snow. Also as this weekend proves they are not that great in the thick mud either. and while they arent as heavy as the 4x4's, trying to pull a 400+ lb (with all the mud)machine outa mud hole with 10lbs of mud caked on each foot really sucks. I also have a 500 4x4 scrambler. it is still somewhat sporty although heavy. it can do jumps but big air is not recomended, with ALOT more effort it can hold its own on the trails, but when it comes to mud snow or just ****ty terrain the "on demand 4x4" really, really helps. you can carry an extra 60lbs of gear on front and rear racks where most sport models dont have racks. and polaris makes a ton of add-ons (gun racks and such). just my 2cents worth hope it helps

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help, still kinda undecided.
Is there a "fast maybe lighter take a beating type 4x4" ?
I guess it would be easier for me to explain like this, in normal vehicles do I drive a camaro ? nope is it hella- fast yea and it will beat me.
I do drive a 4x4 pickup but its a regular cab z71 although not as fast as a camaro it will beat all other stock trucks 4x4 anyway.
very sporty but I can haul anything and everything too ... does that help ???

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 03:56 PM

Well for the 4x4 type quads I am not the best...for the simple fact I dig the sport quads way more. I prefer the fast hardcore riding more then the 4x4utility type riding....Good luck man!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my advice is to go ride a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 at a dealer. they are pretty slow off the start due to the auto tranny but top end is actually better than a 400EX. once you get used to the weight the handeling can be dealt with. I think this is as close to a do everything quad as you are gonna find. Not great at anything but good at everything. you nailed it in your truck comparison. will the scrambler beat a raptor? no way in hell but it will beat every other 4x4 out there, at least all that i have found.

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd go with a 400EX or a Raptor.. I've got a DS650, and I like it, but if I say anything about that people will just say it sucks so I'm not even gonna bring that [censored] up...

*_/\_<font color=red>Ride</font color=red> or <font color=blue>Die</font color=blue>_/\_*
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how bout a wolverine
don't know to much about it maybe one of those yamaha boys can fill you in on it. i believe it is four wheel drive and i thought it was a little sporty. oh well good luck.

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

damn didn't think about this, how bout a scrambler 500 4x4. fast at least 70 i know, and has four wheel drive. pretty cool quads and they look pretty good too!

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode