Sport ATV info needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sport ATV info needed

Have been out of the ATV game for a long time and am contemplating buying a new quad for me and a mini-quad for my son. With value being a factor, I am looking at the 300EX, Warrior, and possibly the Mojave. I have ridden an older 250x and a new 400EX Honda and figure the 300EX should fall somewhere in between those two. It's been far too long since I've ridden a Warrior and I have never ridden a Mojave and am looking for some input on these two machines.

For financing reason I have to buy new, otherwise I'd look for a use 250r or quadracer for myself or might consider a new Banshee or 400EX if I had that much to spend. Been a die hard Honda guy all my life, but want good bang/buck as well. Feel free to email direct of post to list. I believe either Dirtwheels or 4Wheelaction had a shootout last year but I can't seem to locate a copy of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 05:12 PM

Re: Sport ATV info needed

well asking here you will get people that are pro this and pro that....
Me I am a major yamaha fan...but i do note other machines that are worthy...i cant tell you anything about the mojove becuase i dont know enough about it...
the warrior is a tried and true ride and i love em...the 300ex i have not messed with much either...but have done the 400ex and i would take a warrior over it....

if you are a rider and have decent experience prior to your time away from the sport...u may get tired of the 300ex...but i dont know....the warrior has reverse and is tight....

whateverya decide...good luck!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Airborne- other than it being a Yamaha, why would you recommend the Warrior over the 300EX?

Some areas that concern me will be long term reliability of the chassis, abuse from jumping that either will take, and power/fun factor. Both engines have been around forever, so engine reliability is a given. Dealer support isn't important either as I don't trust any local dealers as it is, so in general Honda or Yamaha is fine by me. The 300ex seems to be shorter & lighter, but if the Warrior is significantly faster and the stock suspension can handle some abuse from jumping and ditch banging, it might fit the bill better. However, I would sacrifice a bit of stock power and buy the 300ex if the stock suspension is clearly better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I happen to have personal experience with all these bikes. I had a Warrior for a while and sold it to get my 400EX. My usual riding partner rides a 99 300EX. The Warrior is a good bike but it definitely has some problems that keep it from being a competitive sport bike. It is much heavier than the other bikes in question here. It is heavy in the front end, which make wheelies difficult and hinders your jumping abiblity. I am not saying that you can't jump this bike but it is a lot more difficult than the Hondas you are asking about. The Warrior does have reverse though, which is nice. The 400EX is a much faster bike than the Warrior or 300EX, however it does lack reverse. My Warrior was modded and still couldn't run with my 400EX. They just are not even in the same league (I know I will catch Hell for that statement, but so be it). If you do not want to spend the money on the 400EX than I would get the 300EX. I am not pro Honda but the power difference between the 300EX and the Warrior is VERY minimal. The 300EX feels a lot more nimble and agile (and also has reverse). The handling on the EX's are far superior to that of the Warrior. The Warrior may have a better frame than the 300EX, I don't really know too much about the Warrior frame. I AM NOT TRYING TO FLAME ANYONE HERE, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION BASED ON MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have experience with several bikes now, and the 400ex will fill the bill ,if you can live without reverse, better than a warrior. If casual trail riding is what you want, the warrior is an excellent bike. The Mojave is for smaller people, like 5'6". You feel cramped on this bike and it is way underpowered. My wife had a 300ex, and reverse is a pain to use, period. It has good suspension and jumps well for what it is. It too lacks power, if your choice is between a 300ex and a warrior, go for the warrior. If you have extra cash, consider a Raptor. It is an excellent all around bike and it has reverse as well which is easy to use. Whatever you choose, have fun!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 01:30 AM

you ask why I choose the warrior over the 300EX?

Well, the warrior I believe that is more stable from what I have seen. Both machines have bad suspension from the factory, but you are able to adjust the warrior suspension much more then the 300EX. The Warrior, contrary to what I have heard so far from the above posts, is not that heavy and I can pull wheelies on it easily. I have jumped the warrior and the 300EX on MX tracks and have taken them through tight trails. THe warrior handled far better.

Now remember that this will all depend on your riding abilities and what you feel to be the most comfortable. I truly believe that the Warrior would be the best bet for you. The reverse will be something you really want for the type of riding you suggested.

Now, the 400EX...well to be honest...I would be mor apt to spend the cash on the Raptor...

I am a yamaha fan, but I will NEVER steer someone in a direction I think they will not be happy with. The warrior in itself has been a very solid machine for our group. The 400EX's that we have here, I am constantly tinkering with because they just can not take the abuse we give them....

AirBorn!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess the biggest quandry I am in is that no one makes the quad I really want anymore, the 250r or quadracer. I've ridden quite a few Banshees and while the power is nice they still seem to be lacking a bit in the chassis quality/durability department compaired to the 250r and quadracer, plus they are a bit more than I want to spend. I really prefer 2 strokes, but the Blaster is definitely out. So that leaves the thumpers.

400EX is very nice and if I had the cash is probably what I would buy, then again the Banshee is in that price range too. So my two real choices are the 300EX and the Warrior, which both would work well until I go riding with the boyz- modded 400EX, DS-650, Scrambler 400, modded Scrambler 400, and Scrambler 500. I sure hate being last across the fields!

Well I'll talk to the dealers and see what kind of deal I can get, then I guess that will make my decision a bit easier. Thanks for the info.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 03:48 PM

dude you can get a quadracer for cheap like 1300...just save up a while...a 300ex or warrior will not be near as fast...i would take a warrior over a 300ex..i have had experience with both and like the warrior..

Large balls...the replacement for displacement[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>-VVickedVVarrior-</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 04:09 PM

what is it about the banshee frame that is lacking in durability and quality???

I am 6'1" 290 pounds and I beat the piss out of mine...i hit table tops and doubles hard....and have not tweaked the frame at all...hell it still has stock suspension...just tweaked to my riding style....I will be changing out the suspension when I get cash...but that wont be until winter time, when I take out the motor for bottom side checks....

I do not feel the banshee is a bad choice....and hell...the banshee will smoke ur boys with some MINOR changes....

AirBorn!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I've never seen a decent quadracer for under $2k, heck I got $2600 for the last 250r I sold [don't ask why I sold it, at the time it seemed like a good idea]. But for other financial reasons, I need to trade in an existing vehicle to get a couple quads, so buying used is out unfortunately.

So I guess it will come down to whatever is the best deal I can get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode