300ex carb blues! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

300ex carb blues!

I am working on my newly aqured 2001 300 ex. Bought it used from a friend. I just installed new brake pads all the way around as well as heavy duty moose rotors. Cahnged the oil and filter, installed some new alum. bars "FLY", like renthall but they run for 39.99 instead, and new grips, I installed a K&N but did not get the whole jet kit. I read on this site to install a #130 main jet and drill a 2" hole in the air box lid, well I Installed a #130 up from the stock #122, but did not drill the air box lid. I moved the neddle up one psotion and turned the air fuel screw out 1/4 turn, end result it ran like crap, waaay to rich. The bike is stock except for the K&N filter so what settings and jet do I need to get the optimum performance, I am unsure what alt. I am at but I live in Owensboro Kentucky, it is right on the In/KY border. Any info would be appreciated. Also what should be my next mod. and any cheap suggestions on how to reverse those front rims, seems the valve stems hit the rotors.

GOT MUD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 02:09 AM

Re: 300ex carb blues!

OK catman....here is the deal...

in all my experience with carbs...and making changes...I have yet to move the pilot jet clip...My ride is modded quite abit and it is still in the middle slot...

from what you explained...the only mod u made to the motor part was a K&N filter
well with that mod you will want to bump ur main jet but I would not mess with the needle jet or pilot jet...also...turn the airfuel screw back to where it was....never ever ever make so many carb changes at one time!!!!!

reverse the airscrew back to original position, put pilot jet back to original slot, and now put a new plug in, and check how it burns...My guess is it will be a bit on the rich side...once you have verified that...you have a few options. If you run in a primarily dry area...get a skin for the filter and run without a lid...if you run in areas taht will get wet...pop a few holes 1" in diameter in the TOP of the air filter box...like in the lid...then check it again with a good cleaned plug. Make sure you check after adjustments...does that help??

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 02:14 AM
raptor_rider

airborn is right ONLY ONE MOD AT A TIME that way you can tell what you did or didnt do

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need suggestion as to what size jets etc. to run and how to reverse my rims without the valve stems rubbin. Thanks

GOT MUD?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 10:40 AM

with just the air filter mod, the 130 is fine. Undo the other changes, and test it. If you read my prior post I explain that in more detail.

As far as reversing the front, it isnt going to happen. If you want the front wider, either get longer A-arms or spacers. I do not recommend spacers, because they are just more of a temp fix. IF you want it done right, then get the extended A-arms...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode