'lo need advice on buying a quad. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'lo need advice on buying a quad.

I am in the market for a quad to put in the back of my truck for those occasional times I goto the beach or when I am out on the trail and dont want to run my truck. I want something that has some grunt to it but handles well. The kinda wheeling I will be doing is light trails, sand, and light mud. What would be a nice quad for my needs?? Thx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'lo need advice on buying a quad.

give us a little more info about yourself like how tall you are and how much you weigh. there are several factors in choosing the right quad. do you prefer a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? 2 stroke will be better in the sand and 4 stroke will be better in the mud. on the trails they will be about the same. do you want a sport type quad or a utility type quad?

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I agree with Cdk...but what you have written, I would have to say either the scrambler 500 4x4 or the new Kawi 650...The Kawi has speed and lots of power for mudding and sand. Give us some more info so we can narrow it down for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im 6ft about 155lbs and I guess a 2 stroke would be nice. I am mainly looking for a speed demon on the sand but something to go on trails with also.

1987 toy4x4 X-cab
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:35 PM
GTA

Trails as in deep mud or trails as in riding through the woods? Most of the 2 stokes don't have the best design for rough terrain or heavy mud slinging.

Gearheads do it greasy!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks like your in for a shee or a raptor. Many people say the shee won't do trails...but look at airborn banshee...he lives in MN and rides his shee on trails only. I guess you just have to use the right technique.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are buying a used quad, i would suggest something in the neighborhood then of a 250R, either a Suzuki or a Honda. if you are an experienced rider then go with a Yamaha Banshee and dont look back...but if your not an experienced rider then beware because these machines put out some serious power. if you want a speed demon you are making the right choice with a 2 stroke in my opinion. if you are wanting a new quad, then you are pretty much limited on the 2 stroke end...not many manufactures are still making 2 strokes in quads these days...the options are the Banshee (350cc), Blaster (200cc), Polaris Scrambler 400 (not a good option if you want a speed demon), and thats about it as far as brand new quads go. maybe i missed one though, i am sure someone else will chime in if i did.

i would suggest a used quad to you, you will save some money and can get a decent ride at the same time. if you are an experienced rider i would go with either the Banshee or the Suzuki LT500R (QuadZilla), and if your not that experienced of a rider then look at the 250R's from Suzuki and Honda. hope this helps.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is possible to ride Banshee's on the trail...i live in eastern TN and ride mainly wood trails and MX tracks. but a dune trip is in the future for me and my 'shee!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't say you couldn't. I just refered to airborn because I know he has a shee and always rides thes trails.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah i know, i was just saying that i ride the trail also [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode