Raptor owners I need your info!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor owners I need your info!!!!!

Hi,
Right now I have a 2001 400ex and would like to get a more powerful quad like a Raptor. I will be riding in half trails and half dunes such as my local dunes and Glamis . I have some questions to ask:

1. How is the handling?

2. What is the best hi-performance coolent for it?

3. What are the best tires for it? I want something that is 6-ply.

4. Do they powerslide good?

The next questions are for raptor owners with aftermarket parts:

1. I heard that the rapter has a tipiness feel to it and what mods can fix this? If you say to extend the axle how long should I extend it and would it affect the places that I ride in or the handling?

2. I also heard that the raptor has a big gap between first and second and what size sprockets front and rear (if I even need rear) would take care of this problem?

3. I know the raptor's front end comes up to easy and I would like to extend the swingarm and how long should I extend them and would this affect the places that I ride in and the handling?
Thanks your info will be greatly appreciated!
Dan

2001 yellow sportax 400ex all stock accept 6-ply razrs!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Raptor owners I need your info!!!!!

Come on guys or gals I need your info badly!!!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is a little info i hope will help. it handles great. 90% of my riding is on trails in colorado and i havnt had a problem with tippiness at all (therefor no need to widen it at least for the trails, dunes...i dont know) as for performance coolant i dont see a need for it at least here my fan has only come on once since i have had it. powerslides great. as for tires i havnt gone thru my stocks yet. i do have a 12 tooth (1 lower)on order and i am running a white bros e-seires pipe for now i will get a sparks system later.
hope that helps a little.

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey radraptor...look on the back posts (page 1) and read the thread "need your help deciding." In this thread Cleartoy gave a list of things you'll need to make the raptor good for the dunes. Good luck in your decision.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont have one but i have riden a couple modified and stock hope this helps

1. handling is decent but tippy
2. i run redline coolant in my quadzilla
3. get something that gives alittle to help it power slide holeshots
4. no

1. just get wider a-arms and a wider axle +2 no it will help handling and it wont hurt your riding cause it isnt that wide to begin with so you wont have any problems on trails and it helps alot in the sand
2. gear it down one tooth in the front
3. longer swing arm kills handling think of sports cars the shorter the wheel base the better it handles but as for the wheeling problem you just need to learn how it ride it and slip the clutch but if you do extend the swing arm go a +2

perfromance wise get rid of the air box lid and rejet it and you will gain alot of power i have heard

may my zilla live forever

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:13 AM
raptor_rider

OK I have a Raptor and a Banshee among others , the Raptor handels way better than the Banshee, yes it feels tippie compaired to the widened Banshee so I widened my Raptor WOW what a differance

here is a pic of my Raptor

for EVERYONES info, there are alot of names on coolant, with alot of differant prices , but there is only ONE coolant plant IN THE WORLD so if you want to waist your money on the high dallor stuff GO FOR IT

now that my Raptor has been widened I love the way the stock (6 ply radials ) slide and I dont have a high speed wabble, and they hook up in any kind of terain, including sand

as far as gap between 1st. and 2nd. after I piped it (GYT-R muffler) modified the air box then jetted it (DYNOJET) I dont have a problem with the wide gear ratio , if you do decide to change gears (lots of people have , but DONT change the front)one tooth smaller in the front is the same as 4 bigger in the back , the reason that you dont want to change the front is you will make the chain ride on the guides REAL HARD and will wear them out FAST

I think if you are riding the wood alot I would only extend the swing arm no more than 2 inches , if you are in the sand ALOT you could get away with 6 inches, Myself I like the way I can pull the front off the ground anytime I want, I found it to come in handy when running through the trees and all of the sudden come up to a fallen tree that I have to jump or a hole that I hopp into

Ride hard, Lifes short
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-414609-front.JPG (32.5 KB, 7 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Radraptor
Some general things Ive done to the raptor
1)dura blue axle +2"
2)chopped 2" out of the saddle.Like a harley corbin seat
biggest bang for the buck
3)gearing go to a 12 tooth front for closer ratio.
4)I run 22/8" razor backs up front on the dunes .they have the best flotation and a thicker carcass than imatations allowing you to run less air pressure.On the rear I run 22"haulers with 9 paddles these give the best hole shot and keep you on top of the loose sand,they also have a plush ride!
5)swing arm was extended on mine by 4" just perfect more tire clearance and much better control when climbing steep rough hills I feel any less would be a waste of money and time!
finaaaaally re jetted to 160&165 mains with air box porting and pro circut pipe at least a 12 hp gain.
Last weekend at the dunes (florence Or) I was the fastest raptor up the hill out of seven raptors over 3 days period of racing comp hill by 1-3 quad lenghts
I hpoe this helps Mark

Keep the rubber side down!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 03:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for everyones reply and I can't wait to sell my 400ex and get the raptor. I have a few more questions and I need your guys honest opinion I need to know which one will be better for my raptor in terms of handling and places that I ride in. Here are my choices:

1. 1" forward 2" a-arms and a plus 4" axle

2. 1" forward 2" a-arms, plus 4" axle and also a plus 2" swing arm

3. Plus 2" swing arm and a plus 4" axle

4. Plus 2" a-arm, plus 4" axle and a plus 1 or 2" swing arm (note:the a-arms in this choice are only 2" and not moved an inch forward)
Here are my choices and again I need your honest opinions on what choice 1-4 what you think would handle the best and is best for the places that I ride in?
I have another question: What are the best shocks for the raptor? I want something that are triple rates.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. If anyone has any other info about the raptor it would be greatly appreciated.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:00 PM
cleartoy

Id say #1 for your riding applications.

Ive heard good things about TCS and Works.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for everyones reply and any other info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode