Thinking of makin' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thinking of makin\'

My own Off road vehical... I was thinking of getting a frame off a old buggy or small car/truck, bend some sheet metal, put in a old 4 banging Chevy engine... ? Whats every think? Any ideas ? Inputs? Will it work.
Then i want to take and put a chevy grill on the front!

Polaris Rulz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thinking of makin\'

there are many "buggies" as you just described out there in the 4-wheeling world (Sniper for instance) but stay away from a 4 banger. if you want to use a small chevy use the 4.3 ltr v6 great engine with enough power for big tires when properly geared. But there is never a replacement for displacement when it comes to turning big tires!

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When you say use the 4.3lter you dont mean a vortec do ya?
Whats the newist year i could get with out computor crap on it. I think it could be a expensive project... I want to keep it cheap. And instead of sheetmetal fiberglass would be better. Whats the matter with 4 bangers?
I really dont want somthing BIG, maybe as big as a VW bug or so.

Polaris Rulz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my friend wants to make a similar project with a kawasaki 150hp street bike motor and an oddysy/polot type frame. It shouldnt be too hard to do, take a look at the dune buggies in your area to see how they do it. I would do a v6 also and have 4wd if i were to do it. Unfortionatly there are olnly limited beaches around here to drive a dune buggy on, and most of what I'vs seen are the vw bug conversion type.

ktmbk
83 ATC 250r (with many extra parts), 83 ATC 185s, 85 Ktm 350mxc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 01:03 PM
raptor_rider

Cody, why not a vw powered buggie its proven to work well

My dream project is a 4 wheel drive hydrostatic vw bug

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes i do mean the Vortec 4.3 specifically the 94 CFI version 195hp and very reliable. dont let the injection scare you. my first engine swap kinda frightened me too but it is very easy. I put a 96 LT1 from a Vette in a jeep and with the pump sitting in a 1 gallon gas can and half the sensors not hooked up yet it fired right up after setting for 2 years. Show me a Carburated engine that will do that. you can find the engine complete with computer (sealed on truck versions) wiring harness and all sensors for around $1200 if you look hard enough And also yes i would go with 4x4 as well. always build bigger than you think you will need. that way you shouldnt get bored as soon

Dave

85' CJ-7
01' Raptor
96' Grand Cherokee
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do not recommend the 4.3 vortec- My dad has a 96 Blazer with that motor and it has been nothing but problems since new. From what I have heard, others have problems with that engine too, so I would stay away from it unless youre big on break downs- i certainly am not.

leave the stickers on the bentley to show the price
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have had 2 vortec 4.3's and they both rocked. both sat in front of a 5speed manual trans, the first was in a slammed S-10 and the second was in a full size Chevy. i used to drag that S-10 and beat several mustangs with it, even beat the S-10's that had the 350ci V8's in them. it would hook up like no other and pull the front end about 10" off the ground. of course it wasnt exactly a stock motor and it had 3.73 gears in the rear. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

since how everybody loves the 350 you should like the 4.3. it is a 350 with 6 cylinders basically. it is a 6 cylinder with 350 pistons. in something light it is a real stump puller.

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:41 AM
raptor_rider

bowtie knows what hes talking about , take a 350 cut the back 2 cyl. off and you have a 4.3 dam good engine (pending on who built it)

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode