need help to select atv - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help to select atv

I have a 13 year old daughter, brand-new to 4 wheeling. She has a couple of friends teaching her to ride on a 400ex, a warrior, and a Big Bear. We considered getting her a Blaster, but ruled it out because it's 2 stroke and no reverse gear. I saw a suzuki 160, and I'm thinking it may be good for a beginner. Also I have a 10 year old who will be wanting to ride and I have to consider her. Is my thinking right to start with a 160, then let my oldest graduate to a bigger model, like a warrior, and then the youngest can take the 160? Is the Suzuki 160 a good ATV? I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

Yard full of 4 wheelers is a yard full of fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help to select atv

if you duaghter has riden the machines yuo mentioned above then i think she will be bored with the suzuki. to small but a good comprimise quad would be the honda 250ex its a 4 strok with an auto clutch manual tranny.check it out at http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/model...umber=TRX250EX

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'll check it out!

A yard full of four wheelers is a yard full of fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

let me know what you decide or if i can help in any other way

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 12:18 PM

the blaster is oil injected and is not requiring mixture. I believe the blaster would be a great starter machine...It has enough power to keep her happy for a while and will also teach her that reverse is a luxury not a necessity.

My daughters will be getting blasters when they get older. I cant think of a better starter quad. It is light enough where she can move it if need be....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You sure about that oil? I had spoken to a dealer about the blaster and he stressed making sure we mixed oil. And it's too late on the reverse gear. All her friends are telling her (and us) to get reverse - mostly because one of the guys is forever getting caught with his 400ex and finds it to be a pain in the butt! And after spending a couple of days reading postings on this BBS, I get the feeling I should steer toward a 4 stroke engine with or without reverse. But let me ask ya another question - do I want air-cooled or liquid-cooled? Or does it matter?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:25 PM

to be honest it really doesnt matter unless that machine is going to be pushed to its end constantly...and yes I am sure about the blaster because we have a couple in the family. The blaster is oil injected and the warrior is a 4 stroke, but a warrior has alot of power that may be a bit too much for her, depending on her abilities and her brains ( no offense ).

The blaster has an oil resevouir under the seat that needs to hold the 2 stroke oil, which is injected into the motor when it is running. You can modify that to run mixed oil, but that is the only way you would mix it.

Of all the rides out there and beings she is 13, I would run a smaller ride for now and then if she really wants to move up then trade or sell and then but...but the blaster is sooooo light that reverse isnt needed...

a warrior has reverse, but I believe it may be to overpowerful for her. Remember I do not know her riding ability and can only base it on a normal 13 year old girl. Reverse is an overrated ammenity for most cases. I would get the blaster and tell her that reverse is there...it just consists of her 2 feet and a few muscles

by the way I have 2 daughters of my own, and they love riding...but they also know when I buy them their first toys, they get what they get and if they want something else they have to pay for it themself!

Good luck mom!!!!

AirBorn!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, it explains alot! Believe me, I take no offense when you mention brains. Right now, she has only just started to ride, so she is a very new beginner! So, yes, Im definetely going to start smaller and let her ease into the sport. By-the-way, I particulary liked your comment about buying their own toys!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:51 PM

glad I could help. One thing to note...if the dealer you talked to did not state it was oil injected, I would look to talk to either a different sales guy or a different shop altogether...one HUGE pet peeve is a sales guy that doesnt know his own product....

Here this is off the yamaha web site:
---Potent, quick-revving 195cc air-cooled 2-stroke single delivers excellent torque and top-end power for all types of high-performance sport riding.

---26mm Mikuni carburetor with resin-type reed valve induction ensures instant throttle response for smoother acceleration and a broad, hard-hitting powerband.

---Exclusive Yamaha Autolube Oil Injection System eliminates the need for premixing fuel and oil for added convenience and less mess.

---Super-reliable CDI ignition fires consistent spark at all RPM levels to ensure seamless throttle response and acceleration across the wide powerband.

That sales guy should go back to school or something

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/01motors...info_body.html

AirBorn!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 03:42 PM

a blaster should be good....a warrior is a very large machine more suited for six footers so a small girl might not fit it well

Large balls...the replacement for displacement[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>-VVickedVVarrior-</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode