Raptor back fires when hot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor back fires when hot

Does anyone know why the Raptor will back fire and not rev up. It only seems to do this after it warms up. I we let it cool she runs just fine. The air temp here is about 60 F. I am in Japan at sea level. I was thinking jets or timing but this new motor is kinda hard to get information on. So if you can help please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Raptor back fires when hot

fellow Raptor rider
I would have to check the easy stuff first
1)first off check your spark plug mixture reading your plug should be the color of coffee or milk chocolate ,check at different rpms by turning engine off right after doing a test run then pull plug and inspect if your light tan or white worse yet! you need the expertise of re-jetting for your riding conditions.Stock raptors are using a #40 on the left carb & a #45 on the right carb for main jets.I increased mine to a 60 & 65 after doing exhaust and air box modes. It made a major improvement in power and torque.
2)Check your fit of carbs at the manifold some raptors have been known to spit the carbs right off while also backfiring you will find a little spacer on the screw that tightens down the carb you may have to grind off some of that or remove it entirely to tighten the manifold down enough.
3) replace fuel with fresh 92 min octane
4) check your air filter ,is it clean , is it in place.very important the raptor lid must be down all the way to hold the filter in place.
5) after checking some of the easey things yourself call the dealer, especially if under warranty.

Just some things to consider .Mark

Keep the rubber side down!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 12:46 PM

initial thoughts, sounds like the choke is stuck...are there any mods to the bike???

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 03:06 AM
raptor_rider

I know exactly what it is , I had it happen to mine , there is a vent tube that comes out from between the two carbs , the way it is routed ( looped up under the gas tank ) it gets kinked and wont let the carbs breath , just move it so it doesent have any kinks and I swear all your problems will be gone ( promise )

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode