help w/ polaris choice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 06:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

help w/ polaris choice

I am preparing to buy a new atv to replace my 97 Scrambler and am trying to find the best all around choice. I would appreciate any opinions on the subject. I sport ride with some friends and mud/snow with others. I would also like to plow my driveway in the winter and tow a small yard trailer for home projects. My first choice is the Scrambler 500 4x4 but the lack of the low gear concerns me. I am also considering the Magnum 500 (don't think the 325 would have enough kick) but am worried about it's "sporting" abilities. The Xplorer 400 is also a consideration, since it has the same 400 2 stk as my scrambler, but I have not been able to find much information on it. If anyone has any input on these (or any I may be overlooking) please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 10:00 AM
GTA

Re: help w/ polaris choice

Since you want to stay with Polaris you may try out the Sportsman 500HO it's heavy, but beleive me it MOVES! If you're interested in other brands, the Yamaha Wolverine may be the ticket. The only problem with it is full time 4x4. The Kodiak is selectable 2&4 but doesn't like to get airborn. You may be surprised to know, the Sportsman, while heavy, is very comfortable landing jumps from a few feet in the air.

Gearheads do it greasy!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are set on Polaris, go with the Scambler 500 4x4 and dont look back. its hard to cross both lines of riding, sport and work, but the Scrambler does a good job of trying to. its not the best at anything, but its good at lots of things. dont worry about the low gear, i rode one at a local dealership and you could putt putt around on it and it had plenty of low power to pull stuff, then give it the throttle and hang on. its really a nice machine, if i could only have one fourwheeler to do everything on, it would probably be that one. hope all this helps

Chris
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, whats wrong with your 97 Scrambler? you going to sell it? how much? send me some details, i might be interested in it...or someone who rides with me might be. thanks.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry...i sold the 97 scrambler after my second son was born to fill some immediate financial needs and am kicking myself now. It was fast, fun and reliable.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok cool, just thought i would ask. thanks.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 04:39 PM
GTA

The scambler 500 4X4 is probably not your best choice. You mentioned pulling a trailer and using a plow. There is a hitch available for the Scrambler but where it mounts is only about 4 inches from the ground. Most trailers have a greater tounge height than that. Also the sporty suspension on the Scrambler will not support the plow weight or resistance.

Gearheads do it greasy!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont think the scramble 500 will be a good choice for you. First off if you put a yard trailer behind it and really over load it (which we all do even if we say we wont) the hi range only will make those cluthes and belt work really hard. There will be a good chance of hurting the belt and breaking it later. In my opionin the best all around quad is the explorer 400. Fast enough to stay with just about anything in the trails, great yard vehicle, being able to go just about anywhere you want, the downfall not a great getting air quad, it will do some air but not to much. When i was at the dealership i had a explorer 400 and a scrambler 500 as my demos. 90% of the time i used the explorer because of the places we rode. Lots of deep deep mud. It would never keep with sport bikes on the wide open two track roads but in the tight trails i was up there A$$ the whole time looking for a place to get by. Good luck on your purchase.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:54 PM
raptor_rider

If your set on polairis I would go with the Sportsman 500 HO also , but if your not set in stone on a Polairis , check out the Kawasaki 650 V-TWIN called the Praire 650

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 96 magnum 425 and i work it daily one a farm and I do Plenty og "sporting with it including large jumps and it performs equally great at both. The suspension has improved a bit since 96 so I feel the magnum would be a great choice. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode