Amp Links and Extended Swingarms - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Amp Links and Extended Swingarms

hey guys, just a few quick questions here. i am thinking that i need to get more power to the ground on my blaster. it is a quick machine, but when trying to drag race you just cant get in it hard because the front end just keeps coming up. my banshee has an amp link installed on it, and it doesnt matter what you do, on pavement rev it high and pop the clutch it just wont pull a wheelie. does the amp link keep it from popping a wheelie? should i get an amp link for my blaster or should i get a swingarm extension? or should i get both? an amp link is in the neighborhood of $159 and a 4 1/2" swingarm extension is in the neighborhood of $179, both plus shipping. wheelies are cool and fun as crap, but i want to get the most power to the ground as possible. anyone else got an amp link on your machine? thanks guys.

Chris
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 11:03 PM

Re: Amp Links and Extended Swingarms

i have heard from most everyone that has them that the amp links are useless and do not do any good at all...just what i have heard i would go witht he longer swingarm..it will make it more stable in rough stuff too

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dude, you can't pull a wheelie with your banshee??

LIFE SUCKS WITHOUT A BIKE!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2001, 12:15 AM
cleartoy

A longer swingarm will also yield more wheeltravel.

Dont know about the amp link. On asphault, you should be able to pull wheelies no problem, especially with a Trinity stage 4 kit. You need to check a few things.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2001, 12:44 AM
raptor_rider

if its any thing like my banshee it just spins tires , even on pavment

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2001, 04:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah mine just spins tires, maybe its just the mudshark tires that just wont hook up enough on pavement that wont let it pull a wheelie. i got the mudsharks pulled off of it yesterday, and the holeshots put on, but didnt have a chance to take it for a spin yet. i kinda like the idea that it wont wheelie, when i drag race friends, it is one less thing to think about, all i gotta do is think about clutch-gear-clutch-gas :-) my banshee has a decently strong bottem end, but the mid to top end is where she puts out her serious horsepower. i am going to take her for a spin probably tomorrow afternoon after work, so i will let you all know then.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2001, 04:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cleartoy, what do you mean it will yeild more wheeltravel? and what things should i check? thanks.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2001, 10:12 AM
cleartoy

As to the swing arm, you will get more wheeltravel with a longer unit, just as you would with longer a arms.

About wheelies and asphault tire burning. I have to ask you guys what kind of air pressure you are running? I always run 2psi in my Holeshots and when on asphault, they dont spin, they grab, and it wheelies easy. On the dirt, it is difficult to get a wheelie, as the tires spin like mad.

I was going to reccomend you check jetting, air filter for cleanliness, fresh gas, but now that i hear about tire burning, it seems that your bike is tuned, if it has that capability. I was under the assumption that it was out of tune if it couldnt wheelie on dry asphault.

My bike is ported, 21cc domes in cool head, FMF pipes, .060" pistons, toomey intake 2:1 and it will NOT spin tires on dry asphault in a straight line.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i still dont have my banshee figured out yet. i pulled the mudsharks off of the rear and put the holeshots on it. the are worn pretty good, about 40% tread left. well on the concrete it hooks up like mad now and takes off like a bat outta you know where. no more wheel spin, but it still wont pull the wheels. i have sat on the very back end of the seat and dumped the clutch and goosed the gas and it just squats and fires off the line. which to me is not a bad thing like i said earlier, but it was mentioned that if it wouldnt pull a wheelie that something might be wrong. in the dirt the holeshots dont even spin that much, i have alot better traction now. do you think it is the amp link that is on my banshee that is keeping it from pulling a wheelie? like i said, i really dont want it to pull a wheelie, i am just trying to figure out if something is wrong somewhere and get it fixed before it dips deep into the pocketbook. :-) thanks guys

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 12:15 PM
cleartoy

You bring up some good points. I wonder how much the amplink has to play in that. If i understand it right, it is supposed to fight negative chain torque so the suspension wont freeze when the throttle is on.

If your engine runs like a raped ape, then i would say there is no problem.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode