Mufflers and Exhaust for 400EX - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 04:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mufflers and Exhaust for 400EX

I just bought a '99 Honda 400EX and already want to change the exhaust system. It sounds really good at or just above idle, but takes on a buzzy sound at higher RPMs.
How do I find out what the different makes and models of mufflers will sound like without going out hunting for people with samples of the different systems installed on their machines? I'd love to find a link to some sample sound bytes for different systems installed on a 400EX. I also want to find out how much of a diference there is between changing out the muffler and swapping the whole exhaust system for an after market setup.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 07:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mufflers and Exhaust for 400EX

i think the only way you will be able to hear the different systems is to find people with them. i dont think there is a website with the sounds on them. there are huge benefits to swapping out the whole system vs just swapping out the silencer, the more you let the engine breathe the more power it can put out. if i were you i would look at the Big Gun Exhaust system for your 400EX, they are loud but they sound awesome. a very deep tone when you punch it. hope this helps.

Chris
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:05 PM

Funny, did you not just say how great the Honda was and how they were top notch in their designs? If so then why are you already replacing their technology with someone elses?? hmmmmm kinda makes ya think now dont it...

Yea we all do mods to our rides, but beings you JUST bought this, come in and say how AWESOME ur ride is and how GREAT honda is in their technology, and then want to replace parts of it....odd i tell ya real odd...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here we go again AirBorn. I bet your Banshee is stock, right? Because it was just that damn good from the factory. Anyone interested in sport bikes is probably going to swap out stock parts for aftermarket ones. You give out good advice but you need to drop this "Down With Honda" routine. We all know your stand on the Honda issue. ANYWAY, I would go with the Big Gun . I have a friend that used to have an FMF system on his 400EX but now has the Big Gun. The Big Gun is a lot louder but also gives you a lot more punch.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yah Airborn jeez. You definately give out helpful advice to some people but for christs sake some of us ride Honda and like them the best. Nobody leaves anything stock, and I know your exhausts arent stock so just give some advice and dont bring on this Honda bashing crap. I like the Yoshimura RS-3 Ti Race system but its about 600 bucks and really loud. Thats what I would buy if I had the money, but for the money I also hear the Big Gun system is the bomb.

bling bling
http://cashmoneystunna.homestead.com/Quad.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a Stroker on my 400ex. Sounds great and not too loud.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 11:44 AM

hahahaha....wow u guys need to buy bigger underware...ur way too bound up...have ya tried some fiber in ur diet????

it was SARCASM!!! do you know what that is??
Yes I have modified my banshee, and I also have stated that the banshee has problems and there are weaknesses in all machines...maybe if you guys would realize that...you would not have such high blood pressure...

sheeesh silly a$$ kids...

here ill put it here for you to save ya the hastle of looking it up...

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
synonym see WIT

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 10:21 PM
raptor_rider

LMAO Are you picking on these kids again?

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i like the dmc exhaust i forget all the specifics but it is a dual exhaust that comes into a single muffler i like it it sounds great not to loud either my cousin has it on his bike it is the only pipe for the 400ex that i have seen that has two seperate header pipes but i could be wrong another one that is good is the white brothers e-series

hope this helped

may my zilla live forever

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

airborn, you spend way too much time on this board and put way too much effort into your posts....lmao

bling bling
http://cashmoneystunna.homestead.com/Quad.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode