Best Beef-ups for 400EX - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 04:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best Beef-ups for 400EX

I just bought a '99 400 EX that is fully stock. I'd like to start making power mods but am not sure what to do first.
What are the first things I should consider doing to help increase power? What kind of real-world increases should I expect from them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best Beef-ups for 400EX

first thing i would do is to look into the exhaust systems and an aftermarket airfilter like a UNI or a K&N. i prefer UNI as they dont let fine particles into the engine as much as a K&N, and they arent as spendy either. as far as real world increases, you should get somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 horses out of a good exhaust and airfilter. dont forget to check your jetting after these mods. hope this helps.

Chris
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:07 PM

chris remember not to give 2 stroke HP increases to a 4 stroke machine...
r u sure that the 4 stroke exhaust mod will increase upto 10 hp? That would kind of surprise me somewhat...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh yeah, my bad. i wasnt thinking about the EX being a 4 stroker :-) sorry Dojon, you wont get that much power increase. besides the 400EX is already the best :-) hehehehehehehheeee

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you tink uni is better than k&n when looking at torque, throttle response on my king quad

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am not sure which one would give you more torque and throttle response, but i like the UNI better because i feel it gives a little more engine protection. i will take engine protection any day over a very small power difference. hope this helps, and someone correct me if the K&N really gives that much more power over a UNI.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 12:23 AM
raptor_rider

your right Chris , the UNI filter is better but I dont think there is any power dif.
as far as the pipe on a 400EX it does make a pretty good dif. but I think if you cam the thing put the pipe on it and air filter , then jet it you will wake up a sleeping giant

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 11:47 AM

the K&N will give a slight advantage torque wise...because it will allow more air passage...but the advantage is so slight it is not worth the chances of trashin the motor...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 12:20 PM
cleartoy

I have to agree with the Uni dual stage foam users. It offers more protecton from dust particles. I think it does not flow as well, but like Airborn said, take protection for a long engine life before negligeable power for a short engine life. In fact, i run an outerwear on top of my dual foam Toomey 2:1 intake on my Banshee.

I think Dirtwheels had a pipe shootout a month ago for 400ex.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Even though its a four stroke, I would go with a good pipe and jet kit and the good filter system either the K&N or UNI. And if you really want to get deep into it, go with a hot cam! Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode