Header Pipe Question and Black Goo? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Header Pipe Question and Black Goo?

hey guys, a quick header pipe question for you. on my new (well new to me) Blaster, the FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe is held in place by a spring. is it ok to remove the spring, pull the header pipe off a little and seal the edges with an orange hi-temp silicon and then slide it on and put the spring back on? there is some black goo coming out of this junction and its not pretty.

does the black goo mean that my jets are running to rich? should i drop my main jet down a notch? to the best of my knowledge it has the stock air filter on it. if i should drop the main jet down a notch to take care of the goo, could i put an UNI air filter or a K&N filter on it to counteract dropping the jet down? or is the black goo a good thing? and could someone explain how to do a plug test? i have been doing some research on the net for info on this, but all i can find is something refering to doing the test, not how to do it. i am going to be out of town for the better part of the day tomorrow, so if it takes me some time to reply thats why. thanks guys.

Chris
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 02:50 AM
raptor_rider

Re: Header Pipe Question and Black Goo?

there are several reasons for the black goo
mixture
reed valves
crank seals
old exhaust syst.
leaking exhaust

I think you already found the problem when you asked about sealing the pipe to the head and Yes its OK to use high temp to seal it

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think you're going to pull that pipe off. I just put one on my quadracer & it fits very tight. The header flange also goes in the pipe about an inch. If you try to take it off and it seems tight, leave it alone.

To do the spark plug test - run the bike wide open in third gear, then simultaneously pull in the clutch & hit the kill switch. Now check the plug.

I wouldn't do anything to the jetting until I rode the bike & ran a few tanks of fuel thruogh it. You don't know what the origanal owner used. I bet it wasn't Silkolene.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 03:01 PM

ummm...the blaster has 2 springs that hold it in place, once these springs are removed the pipe will pop off fairly easy. Once it is apart, and the pipe is off, I would recommend running some cleaning solvent through the internal of the pipe and then after it dries, silicone it to the head...but dont use too much...just a nice fine layer will work.

The spark plug test is pretty much what 10X stated, but I recommend that when doing this...spend the extra jing on a new plug so u can get a TRUE reading...

as far as the jetting, leave it be and run high octane gas and we run yamalube 2R in all the machines we have....

the YZ250 had a similar problem, so we emptied the tank and all the gas from the carbs and lines, ran it at high octane 32:1 with yamalube 2R and cleaned the pipe and repacked the silencer...no more black goo from that ride....never messed with the jetting...

one other thing, how much oil in the air filter?????? remember not too much that can affect it too

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks to everyone for replying. i am going to run the plug test just to see what happens. i am going to silicon the header also as described. the previous owner gave me 5 quarts of Yamalube 2-S, he said thats what he ran in it. whats the difference between it and 2R? what bottem end oil should i run? thanks guys.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 10:57 AM

If they still have the injector oil system then your OK with 2S...if they removed that and you have to mix use 2R...

2S....Yamalube 2-S 2-Cycle Engine Oil Semi-Synthetic Injector Oil
2R....Yamalube 2-R 2-Cycle Racing Oil, Semi-Synthetic Premix Oil

Hope that helps!!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah the oil injector system is still in place. thanks, i am going to get some 2R for my banshee.

Chris
'00 Yamaha Blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode