Brand-newbie: What should I buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brand-newbie: What should I buy?

Hi - just found this forum. I just bought a 26 acre piece of property up in the wine country of CA. Hilly, mostly forested with oak and madrone, not too much undergrowth. A few fire trails.

I would like a quad for utility use and fun. I'm NOT interested in racing or hot dogging, but I enjoy power. I have done a little dirt biking, a lot of street riding - but have NO quad experience.

My 12 year old will probably learn to ride this, maybe even my wife. And I need it for utility - I'm thinking I probably need a little trailer to haul chain saw, firewood, etc.

Is one of the smaller 250cc class machines enough? I'm assuming I want 4x4. What kinds of features should I look for? Any brand/model recommendations? Anything to AVOID? Where is a good place to find a used one - maybe only a year old.

Thank in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brand-newbie: What should I buy?

if you want something 4 wheel drive, that your kid and your wife can have fun on, and it can still do work i would suggest a polaris 500 4x4 my unlce has one i like it for just messin around and climbing hills it is a sport quad but trust me it has plenty of power it will climb anything and tow anything it is kinda fun to ride if you dont want to fly (but it does move pretty good) and it is automatic so any one can ride it and dont worry about it wheeling and throwing your kid off it wont trust me i have tried my sister rides my unlce's polaris 500 and she is only 15 so i am sure your kid and your wife can handle it

the only bad thing is that they are kinda expensive but if you look at a used one it shouldn't be that bad hope i helped you out alittle

may my quadzilla live forever

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would atleast recommend 300cc above for heavy towing. The Honda Fourtrax 300 is a proven rock solid quad. The Suzuki KingQuad is also a good quad. This quad has reall 4x4 and three ranges(high,low,superlow) which gives you plenty of torque to pull. I will tell you this machine is SLOW. The yamaha Kodiak is also a nice looking quad which would suit you fine. For the big bores the Sportsman 500HO and the new Honda Rubicon are very nice quads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:01 PM
raptor_rider

from what you described as to what kind of a machine you are looking for ,I have to go along with QUADZILLA and say get the Polairis 500 sportsman , my Dad has one and he loves it says its easy on his back , I have a 250 Polairis Trail blazer for my kids (same trans as the sportsman) and ANY BODY can ride it , but if you are going to be towing a trailer I would strongly recamend something bigger than a 250.
hope this helps
Good luck

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:09 AM

IU would have to concur on the Polaris 500 Sportsman, I have seen them in action and have been very impressed...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:22 PM
GTA

I own a Polaris Sportsman. In my book, you can't touch this machine for the features and ease of operation. The 500HO is one of the most powerfull machines made. You will save some money and still be completely satified with the Sportsman 400. The fully independant suspension and locking four-wheel drive allows me to go where none of my friends can with their Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Hondas.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, You Guys

If I can find a local Polaris dealer, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Greg-do you have a valid email address?
Thanks

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes - click on my name and remove the word NOSPAM. This isn't meant to deter humans - only computers that scrape email addresses off sites like this and send SpAM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode