Oil? What kind? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil? What kind?

Do I really need motorcycle oil at $4 a qt? Or can I use auto oil. Dealer says "you need the additives for the clutch?. Any truth to this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:42 PM
raptor_rider

Re: Oil? What kind?

for the crank case of my 2 strokes I use Castrol (pending weather conditions as to what weight) and on my Raptor I use yamahas racing oil.
As far as mix , I use only Yamalube

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:43 PM

I strongly recommend that you do not use auto oil. There are detergents in that oil that will take out the clutch faster then normal. Yes there are additives and less detergents in the oils made for cycles...USE THEM!!!!

unless you like spending alot of money on repairs later...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i run valvoline vmax 10-40 in the bottom end of my quadzilla it mets all the requires meants for a brand new honda 400ex that my cousin has you know all those little codes but i am not an expert but it is alot cheaper and i havent had any problems with my clutch and i have had the quad for two years now and my cousin runs it in his quad

as for a mix oil i run redline synthetic oil it is what my dad likes so i just go along with him on that

may my quadzilla live forever

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a factory honda 400ex manual and it says to use the honda oil OR any oil with the sf/sg rating on it, like 90% of the automotive oils have. I have been runniing mobil 1 in mine and have not had any problems in over a year of using this oil. Just make sure you compensate for the different outdoor temps (winter, summer you know?) Hope this helps

Whats up AIRBORN!!!
DTYD

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MOTOR OIL HAS POLYMERS IN THEM THAT BOND TO THE CLUCTH PLATES AND "glaze" them causing slippage

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why does honda NOT have a problem with it?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use Yamalube 4S four-stroke oil in the bottom end of my Warrior. It is great. I don't mind paying a little extra for oil if it will prolong the life of the engine. Notice on auto oils after about an hour of use that it is already turning black. The heat from a small air-cooled engine is greater than an auto. Auto oil simply can take the heat small engines produce so it breaks down and takes out the clutch in doing this. My 2centz!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used all types of oils in my bikes over the years, and I have had no problem using an automotive motor oil in any of my bikes.
I currently am running an car oil (mobil 1 5w-30) in my 185s, my manual (hanes) recomends using a multi grade car type oil, ao i do. I use the synthetic because it does not break down like a conventional type oil under high temp conditions. This is a bike that is close to twenty years old without any internal engine work, and has two different clutches in it, always run on automotive oil. This is proof enough for me.
Oddly enough my official honda manual for my 250r suggests a multi grade car type oil as well. I did for a while but i now use the honda gear lube that is sold in the red bottle. When I tried this lube for the first time I could swear that I felt a little more power from the engine, this could just be me.
My ktm manual recomends a heavy weight gear oil, and to change it very often, it reccomends what ia accually a rear end differential fluid. I use the honda gear lube in that engine as well, since thats what i had the last few times i did the oil in it.
When I had my blaster, the yamaha shop manual recomended an automotive multi weight oil. I used 10-30 in it the entire time i had the bike without any problems.
If anyone has doubts they should ask their local dealer or consult their manual. As far as I can see - you can buy automotive oil and use it without problems, as long as you do maintain your bike. This means changing your oil when it gets dirty, befor you blow out your clutch. Remember anybody that is selling oil will hype up their oil over other's, this goes for motorcycle oil as well as car oil, so if you ask two people about the same oil they may tell you two totally different things.
You can even get oil without the additives if you are worried about them, I have found this type sold in discount type stores for x many a doller. I wouldnt run them in my crank case unless i was using them to flush something out.
There are some oils that you can not use for bikes with a wet clutch transmission set up, IT SAYS THIS ON THE BOTTLE, just look on a bottle of slick 50 gear oil the next time you are in wall mart to verify this.
Now I have seen people (on other web sights)swear that they use automotive transmission oil in their bikes, this kinda makes sence to me since trans fluid is pretty much further refined oil that has extra additives in it. I have not had the guts to try it out for myself yet.
Sory to be so long, but I hope i helped.

ktmbk
83 ATC 250r, 84 atc 250r (parting out), ATC 185s, 85 Ktm 350mxc
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see this is a good debate. I am running Mobil 1 in my quadracer. Dealer says "Don't ever use synthetic". Like Dunedude said, my manual also calls for sf rating and the motorcycle oils are sj I believe. I guess its probably best to use motorcycle oil, but why don't the manuals call for it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode