'85 Fourtrax 250 utility - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

\'85 Fourtrax 250 utility

I have attempted to remove the kingpin from the front swingarm but have been unsuccessful. I have sprayed PB Blaster, heated somewhat with a propane torch but cannot get it to move. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 03:24 PM

Re: \'85 Fourtrax 250 utility

have you gotten the nut off it or is the nut off and the bolt just frozen in it??

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't believe there is a nut, just a grease fitting on both ends. There is a lock bolt that passes through the swingarm and has a flared end that slides through a grooved portion of the kingpin and that lock bolt is out. I just left the nut to it on but at the end of the threads and beat it out of the swingarm. However, I can't seem to get the kinpin to budge. I have the Helm manual for the bike but it doesn't speak of how to remove the kingpin other than to remove it with the dust seals. Of course, the photos show them holding the kingpin out of the swingarm and ready to be place back in all the while the bike they are working on is BRAND NEW. Just about everything comes off easy on something new. I think the Helm manual, although informative, is lacking a little meat. I saw at the Honda shop that they have the same exact manual. I asked them how much they would charge to remove the kingpin and they said $47.50/hour. When I asked how long they thought it would take they said something that old they didn't know. You would think they would have some experience doing this procedure since I am sure I am not the only '85 Fourtrax they sold which the kingpin bushings have worn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:28 PM

hmm i really dont understand this setup..never heard of something like that so i guess im no help...

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just finished working on a 84 fourtrax in my shop with the same problems. It seems that it is a design flaw and the metal almost bonds. I found a local atv junk yard that I found had the swingarms for $10 apiece. After I had already spent 35 dollars trying to get 4 local machine shops to press out, one shop had a 80 ton press and couldn't budge it. Have you hit it with a hammer? If so it is in there for life. It seems that if you hit it with the hammer it will mushroom out before it will break loose. If you havn't hit it with a hammer a locla machine shop should do it for about 5 dollars or so a arm. Hope this helps.

A normal man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from others mistakes.
PS. Oh yeah when you do finnaly get it apart take somw sand paper and snad the inside where the pin goes thru this will help when you install the new pins. Also aply a small ampunt of anti seize to it, this will prevent future corrosion porblems like you are experienceing. Be sure to buy new bushings and seals for the king pins and grease them regularly and you shouldn't have any more of a problem. Hope this hekps ya!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I did hit it with a hammer but I don't think enough to mushroom it. The swingarm was still on the bike and I only had about a foot clearance to hit it with. Good suggestion though as I was going to remove the swingarm this weekend and try using just a vise to press it out but a professional press should do the trick. I already have the dust seals and bushings to do the job but couldn't get the kingpin out. Good advice for reinstalling too. I will let you know how it goes. Actually, this was my cousins atv and he wasn't much on maintenance except for oil. I had to rebuild the pumpkin from where he stripped the pinion gear which set me back $275. Add in $64 for the bushings and seals for the kingpins and $500 for the atv and I think I have a pretty good deal. He recently tried to remove the casing where the shaft comes off the motor and goes to the rear end and found out the hard way not to do that because you have to split the motor to put it back together. When he did that, he went ahead and replaced the rings and said the engine looks brand new inside.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, I took the swingarm off on Saturday and took it to a machine shop. The pressed the kingpin out for me and charged me nothing. Thanks for the good advice.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no prob let me know if you need any more help!

A normal man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from others mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode