Pipe repack? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pipe repack?

Anyone ever repacked a DG pipe before? Does it change the sound of it at all? Mine comes apart (it appears), so I was wondering if repacking it would mellow it out at all??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pipe repack?

i just repacked my DG Type II pipe thats on my quadracer middel of last week. i had planned on replacing it, but after a quick sprint ride i looked at the back of the pipe and the pop rivets holding on cap were broke and the cap was just sitting there. i pulled it all apart and went to the local shop and talked to them. they told me to go to walmart and buy a pack of steel wool and repack it real tight in there. so i did and it mellowed the sound just a tad, but not much. it is still loud as crap. it feels as if it gave it a better hole shot also. but that may just be me, i havent had a lot of time to ride it since the winch accident. hope this helps.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WHY YOU WOULD EVER REPACK YOUR PIPE DEFIES ME.unless your fillng it with crack. on the other hand repacking your silencer is another story. the monkeytit that told u to use steel wool is on the pipe. you are supposed to use fiberglass repacking made for dirt bikes. thats what absorbs the sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 01:12 PM

steel wool???? wtf? they have repack kits at all the local dealerships...if not goto dennis kirk..they have em...
they are like 5-10 bucks a pack....pack it up and go for it....get that steel wool out!!!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

so steel wool was a bad thing? thats what the guy told me to use at the local store. will the steel wool hurt it? i will go back down today and see if he has a repack kit, if not i will order one from denniskirk. thanks.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:31 AM

It wont really hurt it...but it doesnt do any good...
get regular repacking for it....you should be able to goto most any dealer or aftermarket company and get repack for mufflers...

good luck

AirBorn!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

airborn,
thanks for the heads up on this. i went downtown and got some regular repacking for it. i will install it this afternoon. i also mentioned to the guy at the counter what the other guy said and he told me that the other guy got fired for telling people stupid things like that.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:54 AM

good thing....he should have been flogged to boot!!!!

AirBorn!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 05:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sure glad roostinya set me straight on the "pipe" repack. I was planning on stuffing the whole thing, from the head on back. I considered using crack, but decided it was definitely cost-prohibitive, plus a little bit risky from a legal perspective. Not being a user myself, I was also unsure as to where I could procure that much of it.

That being said, I bought some fiberglass at the local shop the other day, and repacked the SILENCER last night. Haven't heard it yet- didn't care to roust the neighbors. There was nothing left of the old material at all. It was even easier than I expected. The most difficult part was getting the larger-than-normal snap ring back into place to hold the core.

Thanks for the input guys!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just got my silencer repacked yesterday with the fiberglass kit that i picked up from the local store. it lowered the sound of the machine a tad bit, but not alot. bottem end power feels like it increased after the repack. hope this helps.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode