What a Weekend! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What a Weekend!

Well it was an eventful weekend. Friday evening I finally found a winch at a local store and got it for my Prairie. its a Superwinch T1500 and i like it alot. before sundown i had it bolted on the front of my Prairie and hooked up, in hopes of getting to play with it the next day when several friends and i were going riding together. first off as soon as everyone (there were four of us, 3 4x4 and my 2WD) unloaded a buddy of mine tries crossing a ditch that he knew he couldnt get across...needless to say his 4x4 was stuck. and who got him out? after one of the other 4x4 tried pulling him out (he had a bunch of pride, couldnt stand letting a 2WD pull him out!) i hooked up the winch and out he came...easy as pie. so i unhooked the winch from his quad and saw that the spool was pretty loose, so i set the spool to freespin and pulled out the loose section and locked the spool back down. a buddy of mine was working the rockerswitch and i was guiding the line back in trying to keep it tight. we got all but about 3 inches of the cable back in nice and tight when all the sudden the winch motor jerked and i found my left hands ring finger getting mashed off by the winch. i jumped and pulled the finger out just in time, saving the tip end of it. i now have no hide nor skin on the bottom side of the tip of that finger and pretty mashed up top side. it hurts like crap. i just thank the good lord that the first knuckle is not broken and that i have the rest of that finger and will still be able to use it. so please if you have a winch on your quad...follow the instructions and never hold the cable with your hands while in motion.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What a Weekend!

Yikes.... I guess the owners manual for my winch was right about using that red strap they send alond to hold the cable with as you're winding it back up. Maybe I'll have to throw it in the pack tomorrow. Glad to hear you still have 10 digits

Work a little... Play alot !!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

N2Mountains,
i would definitely incourage you to throw it in your pack...i wouldnt wish this pain on my worst enemy.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yah dude that sucks, one time my friend got a fat steel splinter in his finger from not using gloves while winching his taco....had to get it pulled out in the ER, wasnt pretty

bling bling
http://cashmoneystunna.homestead.com/Quad.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode