Questions and Thoughts about 4WD Quads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Questions and Thoughts about 4WD Quads

So in your opinion who makes the best 4x4 quad and why? Which quads are true 4WD and which ones have the limited slip in it? And why doesnt Yamaha make the Wolverine in selectable 2WD/4WD? I mean it would be the perfect quad if it was selectable...it would be a true SPORT UTILITY quad. Thanks for listening, and let me know what you think...I want to hear from everyone.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:58 PM

Re: Questions and Thoughts about 4WD Quads

check out the post about the prarie 650..it is the baddest 4x4 out and it has a locking front end...polaris machines have the "on demand" stuff when activated it fully locks both front wheeles when the rear tires spin....yamaha, suzuki, and kawasaki have the front diferentials that put the power to the tire with the least traction and the hondas have some tricky differential that puts puwer to the tire witht the most traction

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only quads on the market with locking front differentials are the Polaris 4x4s and the Suzuki King Quad, and the Quadrunner 250. The Suzuki King quad is a nice bike with a total of 35 different gear selections. It puts out lots of torque, although not extremely fast. With some mods this bike could be made more capable than some 400cc bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For clarification--Polaris does not have a front "differential" in their desgin. Hihglifter is releasing a Detroit Un-Locker for manual disconnection of the front drive shaft for Hondas and a Detroit Gearless Locker that locks the front end, but releases in corners to reduce steering effort. Honda has also tested a factory-made 2WD/4WD swtiching system on some 450 platforms and will release it on some smaller quads first, probably meaning the Rancher series.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i will check out the other post...i just read an article in April's edition of Dirt Wheels about the Prairie 650...it looks like a bad machine to say the least...just wish i had an extra 7k to lay down! :-)

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

King_Quad & TxDoc2,
so everyone else just has a limited slip front end? and why does shifting more power to the wheel with less traction make any sense...i would want the wheel with the most traction getting more power in that situation...am i thinking wront? i am just doing some research, trying to learn something :-)

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:43 PM

well it is easier and simpiler to make them that way and steering is lighter that way...i think the diffs. that put power to the wheel with the most traction are a fairly new technolory for ATVs too...

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There was a good article on the various manufacturer's 4WD systems a while back. I will scan it and send it to you. Check out ATVTIME.com and Highlifter.com.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, i would guess it would help steering out a ton. the only 4x4 i have rode is my grandfathers Big Bear, and he has got a blade on the front of it for snow and leveling his gravel driveway so it steers terribly anyway...i just thought it was the blade making it steer that way.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 01:22 PM

of the very limited knowledge I have on the 4x4 quads...I like the sprtsman models...I got to play around on a few and had a blast.

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode