400EX or Yamaha Warrior - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

400EX or Yamaha Warrior

Greetings,

This is my first official post on this board so please be kind. Thanks! I just purchased a 2001 Raptor for myself and a 2001 400EX for my wife. I just wanted to solicit some feedback to confirm I made the correct purchase of the 400EX versus a Warrior. Are there any opinions out there...?

Basically, what is better STOCK: 400EX or a Warrior. Thanks!

Best regards!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 400EX or Yamaha Warrior

The EX was a good pick although if your wife is an unexperienced rider she should take it easy on it. Its no Banshee but its fast. The Warrior had reverse, so I hope if she gets stuck she can push, because the EX doesnt have it.... but altogether I would have definately chosen an EX because it is a newer, more powerful machine that does basically everything better.

bling bling
http://cashmoneystunna.homestead.com/Quad.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been thinking about this very same battle for some time now. except that either quad wouldnt remain stock, but would be modified to some extent. what i have been thinking is given the same modifications, such as pipe and k&N filter and airbox work and jetting and maybe some gearing changes, which would be better? i am thinking the Warrior just because of the vast majority and availablity of aftermarket stuff out there. there is probably just as much out there for the 400EX, i just havent been able to find it. anyone know if i am correct? or what does everyone else think?

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:22 PM

Well first off, I will tell you that most people think I am a die hard yamaha man and wont have anything else. Well that is partially true, but I also have an open mind to other options.

First off:
The Honda 400EX is not as fast as the warrior from my experience and the aftermarket add-ons are not as common as the warrior.

The Yamaha warrior has reverse and is quick stock and a few mods it will tear it up nicely. It also has been around for many years, which means that part availability is better and aftermarket toyz are easier to find and get.

Reliability:
The Honda has not been around enough to show a trend for reliability...

The Yamha has been around long enough to show a trend of being a very reliable machine when responsably taken care of...

This in itself should give an objective view to the differences between them...
Honda used to be a great product, but for many years the left the atv realm and are now trying to get back into it, well, until they can prove their ability to hang...I will stick with a proven machine with easily accessable parts and aftermarket toyz...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am thinking by the same lines there as Airborn is...and yes i think Airborn is a "die hard yamaha man and wont have anything else" because he is afraid of a Suzuki Quadracer eating his Banshee :-) just joking with ya Airborn, you would probably take my Quadracer to school and back home.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:57 AM
raptor_rider

I myself am battleing the same question as to getting a new ride for the wife, my pro's and con's
PRO'S
the Warrior (like airborn said ) has a great track record
it has reverse
CON'S
old tecnology on the suspention
PRO'S
400 EX has up to date tecnology on the suspention
wider for more stability (stock)
larger engine for more torque
CON'S
no reverse
I think I'm going to go with the Warrior

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor_rider, it seems that your PRO/CON analysis points to the 400ex, not the Warrior. But then, I'm biased as a 400ex owner. As far as the 400ex not being tested over time, I think that is a bogus argument. As we all know, Honda has many years experience building motorcycles and atvs. And the 400ex has been out since 1999. If you were talking about Cannondale atvs, then I would agree, but not Honda. Also, from your PRO/CON analysis, I think the superior suspension and more torque of the 400ex out weighs the value of reverse and the track record of the Warrior by a mile. You just need to get you wife in the gym, working on her dead lifts and squats so she can pull the front end around when she gets stuck.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Andy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 12:07 AM
cleartoy

Just one note about more power and better suspension.....they are deffinitely attributes, and something that are a must on my quad. Consider the rider it is intended for. How much experience does she have? Can she really use all that suspension and extra power?

And reverse is very appreciated by women. Let me tell you.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 12:28 AM

One note about reverse;
Its not just appreciated by women, I am sure.
"Get her in the gym so she can muscle her way out".
Sure, I COULD push my bike out of a situation if I had to, but why? That's not fun, and that's what riding's supposed to be about. It's not supposed to be something you HAVE to do.
Yesterday, I missed a shift going up blowsand, near the top, wound up in neutral, and found myself in a situation that I was not prepared for (especially considering it was just the secong time I had ridden). I am sure that in that situation, or worse, anyone could have appreciated the luxury of being able to back out of it, not have to hop off and push.
I LOVE my Warrior. It's fun. If I wanted to work out in the desert, I would have kept the CR 80.
And it's mostly stock. If I need more, I can always modify later, when I'm ready.
Just my opinion.

--Ex

Quotes Suck
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 02:51 AM
raptor_rider

YES it almost sounds like my pro's and con's are weak when it comes to the Warrior, but you have to remember who's riding it ,My wife weighs 95 lbs she doesnt jump the bike, all she does is ride on dirt roads and trails giving the kids rides, so yes reverse is very important

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode