Jetting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jetting

ok guys, some of the recent posts have got me wondering and thinking about jetting. i know nothing about it...where can i find some good reading info on the net about what it is and how it works and the theorys behind it. thanks guys and gals

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:06 PM

Re: Jetting

I am not too sure...cleartoy is the resident jetting guru....
me I am not sure what I am even though we all have our nitch as to what we specialize in...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:17 PM
cleartoy

Im not sure where to find info on the net. Buy a factory manual or a clymer manual. They do go into some theory.

Jetting is about getting the right air to fuel ratio or mixture. To much air, and it will run lean. To much fuel and it will run rich.

If it is lean, it will run hot, sputter\starve for gas, it can detonate. Deffinitely not good.

If it is rich, it will have a lazy throttle response, foul spark plugs, and generally be gutless.

So on a perfect day, you can achieve good jetting results. Jetting can change upon the weather.

A cold day, and raining outside, will cause the jetting to be lean. You need richer(bigger) jets.

A hot day and or humid day will make the jetting rich. You need leaner(smaller)jets.

Elevation(higher) will make the bike run rich. you need to jet leaner. Just remember to change the jetting back before you ride at lower elevations again.

Exhaust upgrades and air box modifications will change jetting. So will porting and cams.

Its really a science, and can be hit and miss. Its a good idea to have a good selection of different sizes available, for impromptu tuning in the field.

I think ive rattled on long enough.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cleartoy, thanks for the quick reply. i now understand the concept and the purpose of it. i will try to get a manual, do they show you how to change the jets? how much do jets usually cost? i am thinking of changing the exhaust on my Prairie, so i will need to change the jetting right? is jetting the same principle on a 4 stroke as in a 2 stroke? thanks a bunch and sorry for so many questions.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

airborn, i just think you are a guru period! i wish i had half the knowledge as you.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie 300
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 03:41 PM

well thanks...I do my best...but I wish I had half the knowledge some other people have...

AirBorn!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guru's...is jetting as important on a 4x4 utility 4 stroke. I ride in cold and hot and wet and dry...is jetting a big problem.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 05:09 PM

well jetting is very important because it regulates along with the air screw, the amount of fuel:air ratio which the machine needs to run.
By not running the jetting and carburation correctly...you CAN do irrepairable damage to a machine in some cases...
so with that being said I would have to say yes jetting is vital in all cases of motors...

just 4 stroke motors are a different breed as far as the jetting goes compared to 2 strokes..

AirBorn!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cdk357, Check out macdizzy.com more info there than any other place I've found. Also has a tech form. Hope this helps you out! Sandmaniac

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:16 PM
cleartoy

Jetting is more important on a 2 stroke. Being to lean can burn them up real quick.

It is still important on a 4 stroke, whether its a 4x4 or a Raptor. On a hot day, if i had a 4x4 4stroke, id probably just leave it being rich ang go huntin or towin a little trailer out to get firewood. It just depends, how precise you want to be.

Its ok to be a little rich, but not a little lean.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode