Some easy help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Some easy help

Hi y'all,
I have been reading this and seeing alot of the banshee write ups...Well I just purchased a 1994 banshee that is ported polished and sleeved. The motor is tight and so is the tranny. I took it out Sunday and rode it all day. It was excellent.

My only question that I am able to think of is the following:
It has dynaport 2 into 1 exhaust and they took the top off the aircleaner. I need to come up with a way to run an air cleaner that is not AS succeptable to water and mud as leaving it open is. I have found a few airboxes, but they want like $$$$$$$ and I am trying to purchase new wheels and tires first. The current tires are shredders (which I personally think are a waste) and will be replacing with holeshot XCT's with .160 rims. I need advice on the airbox and the best way to do it cheap but not poorly.

Any advice is welcomed!!!
p.s. cleartoy, I have seen many of your posts and would like to get a little more indepth conversations of a few things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 05:47 PM
cleartoy

Re: Some easy help

Are you running the KN filter on the Pro Design alloy mount, or just the stock plastic piece with 2 screws securing it to the box?

You could just put the stock lid back on(course youd have to buy one first)and vent the top with some of those little 1" foam filter inserts. That would be LESS susceptible to mud and water than no lid at all. I believe you will need to cut the underside of the lid to clear the KN filter and Pro Design mount.

Alba makes an Aluminum lid with pre drilled holes....claiming Personal Water Craft techology will not allow the water to enter. ITs like $86!

I dont reccommend putting the stock lid on without some of the vents, being your cylinders are ported, your motor wants to breathe.

On my Banshee, i run the Holeshot 20-11-9s on ITP 9x9 .190 with reinforced race rings on the rear. They slide well, and handle [email protected] Up front i have the MAXIS front 21x7x10s on ITP 10x5 .190 with rings as well. THey turn and handle great for [email protected] However, ground clearance is an issue,as i countinually strike the skidplates and inside of front rims with rocks, so my future plans are the ITP Holeshot 23-7-10 up front and the 22-11-9 in rear. Of course I will change my gearing to compensate. Another reason for adding taller front tires is because with the longer a arms, i can bottom out the frame to the earth. I would like to prevent that from happening anymore!

As far as .160 rims, dont hit rocks with those. I have folded up .190 rims that were equiped with race rings! They dent on minor contacts. One time, i hit a rock so hard, it bent all the way to the caliper, and it was locked up to say the [email protected][email protected]

You can talk to me whenever ya like, i speak Banshee!

-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Well I purchased this unit on Friday night. So I am still trying to figure out what all it has for accesories. I am from minneapolis, MN and I drove to the East side of Cleveland, Ohio picked it up at midnight, and then returned home in enough time to go riding Saturday night and Sunday. Call me crazy, but I wanted to ride!!! Anyway, the filter I belive is KN filter and it is held to the plastic tunnel with radiator clamps.

I am currently thinking of just getting a piece of plastic, cutting to fit and putting nice little air slots in it with my dremmel. I can not justify purchasing the airbox from the dealer, because the lid alone is around $50.00 and I will be marked as a nutcase if I spend $175.00 on a case for the air cleaner. I thought about going with the taller tires, but we have always run 20's on our machines and I think 22's would sit just a bit higher then I care to have it sit. I will look into the .190's, however I have not had alot of trouble with rims getting put into the graveyard, unless I beat the living crap out of them and start jumping into the rock pits full speed!!!

Can you get the re-inforcements for any rims or do they have to be special order rims? I have the stock wheels on the front with shredders, and they seem pretty decent in the mud and sand. The center rib keeps the steering pretty well. With extneding the A-arms, what does that help you with, other then stability? I do alot of trail riding, so I do not think that would be a wise choice for me. The durablue 2 axle is sure nice though. My project to get this up and running to MY requirements is going to be a painful yet slow process because of cash flow.

Another question is, where is the best place to get bearings for the front wheels? They are trashed and I need some new ones, however all the yamaha dealers in the local area are out and it takes over a week to get them. Thought maybe you could give me some pointers on high capacity bearings for the front as well...

I am going to have some fun playing with this machine, also if you know of any "basketcase" banshees or quadzillas, or tecate's let me know...I am looking for a long term project too!!
(can ya tell I am a single dad with time to play?)

Talk to you soon!!!!

AirBorn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 05:49 PM
cleartoy

ITPS and Douglas rims are available with the rings. OR OMF sells the rings alone, and you can have somebody weld them on.

For the A Arms, besides stability, there is more wheel travel, plus, camber and caster are adjustable, so cornering is improved.

I never needed to replace my front bearings, so i would just go to the dealer. You might check R.P.M.

-cleartoy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Well, I decided to just order them from the dealer. I ordered the bearings, seals, rear brakes, and the chain rollers/tensioners...
then I ordered new wheels and tires from rockymountainatv...i ordered 10x8 .160's and holeshot 20x11x10 tires. I couldnt find 9x9 rims ANYWHERE that werent .125's....so we shall see how they ride...I am a little nervous but they should work ok...

I was wrong on the airfilter I am running...it is a prodesign airfilter and I am in the process of creating a air box out of stainless steel with its own cover to help on the water/mud ordeal...

If the wheels and tires do not work I will use them as extras and order the 9x9 .190s and through more of a mud tire on the 10x8's....anyway look forward to hearing more from y'all....

AirBorn

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 11:46 PM
cleartoy

The only one that makes 9x9 .190s are ITP.

I run a Cascade upper chain roller. IT works well.

-cleartoy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just to let you know I just bought new ITP 10" / 5" race wheels with reinforced ring and new ITP 22 10 8 tires already mounted from (Ronnies)
cost $365.00 plus shipping

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 10:33 AM
cleartoy

Let me know how you like them. Are they Holeshots? Reason i ask, is cuz im thinking about getting Holeshots up front in a larger than stock size.

Enjoy your rims. TAke care not to hit the inside of the rims on [email protected]

-cleartoy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Well for the ITP .160's 10x8 and holeshot 22x11x10 tires mounted and ready to put on...cost me 190.00 shipped to my door. It would have been 184, but I opted to do it COD. I will get fronts in about a month and I am debating the size to go on the fronts. I currently have 22 on the front and I am considering running one size larger. However we will see how it all works in the end. Today I go and put the chain rollers, wheel bearings, seals and tires on. I also have to weld up a tiny crack in the pipe...and then I am also going to put a support bracket on the swing arm to give it a little stronger hold. I am very excited, we are going to the trails friday nite.

Oh one more thing, any ideas on how to guard the lights from breaking any better( i broke one this last weekend).
Look forward to hearing from you....

AirBorn!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes those 20"/10"/8" tires are holeshots XC and man the look greet have not rode it yet as I am piecing my quad back together from a bad crash.
And those ITP wheels are 190" race wheels with the beed lock inner and outter ring for heavedudy abuse, those 160" wheels will bend easily if you hit big rocks or trees at low speeds, I go fast thro the woods and hit trees and rock alot and get hurt alot, I am just trying to keep up with the prrs in th GNCC races

woodsrace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode