Raptor or Banshee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor or Banshee

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Its time to trade the Lakota in. I can't decide between the Raptor or Banshee. Nothing makes my blood flow like the sound of the Banshee's 2 stroke. Are they that hard to maintain?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 11:03 PM
raptor_rider

Re: Raptor or Banshee

I have both a Banshee and a Raptor, the Banshee is a adrenaline RUSH, it has never let me down , I've owned it for over a year , got it off the show room floor, PURE POWER the first theing I did was put the Toomey T-5 pro riders kit in it WOKE THE MONSTER UP, it is the best thing going for the dunes.
Then there's the Raptor, PURE PLEASURE , the first thing I did was pipe it, i've done my share of playing on both (have'nt had it in the sand YET)The Raptor will run right along side the Banshee,has better suspention, looks better, and is easier to ride , I can go slow and ride with the wife, or go fast and ride with my boy's, I have the best of both worlds...The wife likes to ride it (its that easy), I let a friend ride it (345LBS) he was very suprised with the power even with his weight.
So to sum it up , they are both excelent rides, what are you going to do with it ? If its woods,trails,or jumping I use the Raptor !!! If its the dunes ,fire roads, or drag racing I use the Banshee...
I hope I helped???

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice toy box you've got there, raptor! I'm not complaining- I like my old Honda just fine! (Especially since I don't have monthly payments!) I was able to buy a trailer, and four ATC's for my family for about half the price of a Raptor... Now, if I had boo-koo bucks, of course we'd all be riding newer machines. But since I grew up on ATC's, I think I'll just teach my kids and wife how to ride (and be careful) instead of doling out the big bucks! Good luck 6speed! That Raptor sounds like a mean machine!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 01:26 PM
cleartoy

Ok, ill throw in my 2 cents. I have had a Banshee since March of '99. 2strokes require alot more preventative maintenance than 4 strokes. Things like changing the trans oil more often, clean air filter more often, compression check and leak down check, radiator fluid(although some 4 strokes including the Raptor and DS650 are liquid cooled).
Mixing gas, jetting is more critical and must checked by reading the spark plugs more often.

More on the Banshee...right from the get go, you have 2 carbs to keeep sychronized(Raptor does too), the stock air filter system needs to be replaced with a different system, if you modify it, you should address the cooling system(radiator, water impeller). Anytime engine repair is needed, you have to buy and machine 2 of everything.

Im still learning about 2 strokes, and had i known about crank case seals causing lean mixture in one cylinder, i would be 3 top ends richer!

I would think that the Raptor would be a more sensible upgrade from a Lakota. You have 4 stroke reliability and predictability, ease of maintanence, electric start, reverse.

I myself would like to get a Raptor. Im looking for reliability and high performance. I would like to buy a machine that has power out of the box, and doesnt require internal modifications. I know it wont be on the same level of my Banshee(ported, .060" pistons, cool head 21cc, pipes, toomey intake) but I understand it hauls ass! Electric start and reverse are nice options as well.

Welp, i think ive said my peace.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode