which banshee mod? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which banshee mod?

Im looking to do a mod or two to my 99 banshee. Here's what I have in mind. Im looking for advice on what will be the best bang and will retain the most reliability, as it is mostly trail ridden.

-Toomey T5 chrome pipe/silencer kit. (325, kit is new)
-Head and port work (250, usually 395)
-Pro Design cool head, 15-22cc chambers. (200, kit is new)
-FMF torque reeds.

I'll vent my air box and buy a k&n filter if I do any of these, also.
thanks
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:08 PM
cleartoy

Re: which banshee mod?

1st thing to do is install pipes\silencers and get a kn filter with outerwear, leaving the stock lid off the box. Unless you go through water of course. Rejet.

All the other mods will be excellent at moving more air, but should be done after or the same time as the pipes and filter.

Careful on pipe selection, they can make or break your torque curve.

Porting will make a very awesome difference!

If you do port the cylinders, its a good time to do a small overbore(.020") for some more power as well.

I originally had pipes and filter only, and it was cool. Then at the same time, i ported the cylinders, did .020" pistons, milled the head, and it was a new animal!

Dont waste your time with the boost bottle. I tried one, and i felt i lost some power.

-cleartoy
-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im looking for pipes that will give the most bottom end torque, as I ride mostly trails. What do you think of the FMF "woods" pipes and how do the toomeys compare? I mentioned the toomeys because I know where a new set for a descent price is for sale.

Another dilema is my air box. I cant remove the lid, as I do hit a lot of mud and water. I was thinking of putting vents in the air box, attaching fittings, and routing hose from those fittings to somewhere near the radiator. Im not sure the feasibility of that, but I dont know any other way to let the motor breathe without taking the lid off.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On "Alba's" Banshee page, there is a nice little graph of some of the different pipes & their related power curves for the banshee, Have a look here (bout half way bdown the page) http://www.albaaction.com/albabansh.htm The FMF's look like they'd offer you the best bottom end punch and all around power curve. A buddy of mine had a pretty much stock banshee w/ the Toomeys and it was pretty much a dud on the bottom.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:25 AM
cleartoy

I agree with JDM. Look at the dyno. It made my decision for me right before Christmas. I was hell bent on getting Toomeys, cuz of the look and image. I saw the dyno, and it was an obvious decision.
I bought the FMF Fatties with PC2 silencers based on the dyno.

I met a Banshee rider in the dunes and we talked about differrent pipe combos for a while. He had sold the Woods models and bought the Fatties because he didnt like them. He didnt elaborate much, other than they flattened out on top
end, and he liked the Fatties way better.

Average going rate for chromed Toomeys is $500 .

If you want lowend torque, you should get the 2:1 headers with silencer, and single carb conversion.

Glad you mentioned your situation. Alba has an aluminum lid with holes in it, claimed to be designed to displace water by jet ski technology.$85 though.

-cleartoy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

buy a ds 650 and have all the power you will ever need

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That dyno graph is interesting, but its so small you cant read anything on it. Exactly which FMF pipe did they dyno? There are about 5 different models, arent there?

thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 10:55 AM
cleartoy

I believe they were the Fatty Torque Plus pipes(Y-44) with PC2 silencers, with a KN filter with Outerwear with the lid off, 300Main jets.

-cleartoy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking around, and I cant figure out which FMF pipes are which. One place advertises:

Moto (Fatty) Pipe - Improved horsepower throughout the engine's RPMs.

Gnarly (Torque) Pipe - New For '00! Strongest pipe on the market, built to withstand Off-road abuse. Huge low to mid range power gains.

Torque Pipe - Wider Power band than stock with added power in the low to mid range.

Rev (Fatty) Pipe - Designed more for mid to top end power for riders who need maximum straight away speed.

Gold Finish - Features nickel plated rust prohibitive finished used by FMF for years.

I found some for sale called Gnarley Pipes, part number #Y-029-45 and #8-205 for Power core 2 silencers. What the hell are these gnarley pipes? I want the pipes that will give me the most low end power and not sacrifice mid range or top end.

thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best suggestion is call FMF Tech support they will answer all questions.

woodsracer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode