HELP- I'm Getting Black Smoke! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

HELP- I\'m Getting Black Smoke!

i have recently run into quite the problem with my 93 honda. I am pretty sure that it is in the carb. But my bike will not idle and when you give it a shot of gas, I get light black smoke. This i believe means that the bike is running to rich, or it is not getting enough air. I cleaned the air filter and even tryed running the bike without the air filter. I decided to try adjusting the pilot screw, and no matter where i adjust it to the is no change. I have recleaned the carb numerous times and have just put a new choke kit in it. Any ideas would help.... Thanks..

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 12:39 PM

Re: HELP- I\'m Getting Black Smoke!

usually that means that it is running rich, the choke may be stuck or it is not properly set up. What jets and elevation are you at? Have you changed the needle position?

What happened prior to the smoke? In other words what led up to the smoking??? Were you riding and it just started? give more info please....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a choke problem. What engine is it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Well I now realize that i have not given you guys very much information to go on. It is a 93 honda 300 4x4. I live pretty close to sea level (so thats my elevation) I have taken the needle out before to clean it but that was way back and it never caused any probs. I guess you could say that i am a moderatly hard on my bike. I am a mud nut, but i make sure i keep it from getting in the bike. The problem didn't suddely appear, I noticed it getting worse as time went on (over a 6 month period). I know that it is not the air filter.
I got an idea, i will run it by you guys.

In the carb there is a spring loaded valve that limits the ammount of air going through. (not the throttle valve)It is attached / or is part of the vacuum piston. Has anyone seen this become damaged, I know that when a lot of air is rushing through there it is supposed to lift the valve up. I am going to do some experiments tommorrow morning. Any ideas will help!

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode