help me out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 02:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

help me out

I'm looking at getting a new atv. I'll mainly be using it for hunting and trail riding. I've been looking at the Honda Rancher 4x4,Yamaha Big Bear 4x4. I also looked at the Suzuki King Quad. I thought it was a little underpowered compared to the other 2 but I liked the sub-transmissions and the fact that the front differential locks. Is there a big problem with this atv? Also there's only 8.3" of ground clearance. I am almost set on the Suzuki but want to know if I'll be paying too much for too little machine. Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:46 AM

Re: help me out

I dont know about the ones you've looked at, but my parents own a '98 Yamaha Grizzly. There is more than enough power (600cc) and even with the auto tranny it gets up and goes. I just thought I'd offer my opinion on this quad if you haven't considered it.

Nick

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with Polaris! Very strong machine and handles the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really cant beat a polaris for what you are looking to do. Great suspension, tight turns, selectable true 4wd, and if you don't like, or are skeptical of the auto trans there is always the xpedition. I almost bought a rancher, until I rode one. You need a half acre to turn it around and the steering is way heavier than my magnum, because your are always in 4wd.

soggyrider

Ride it like you stol' it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 12:01 AM
raptor_rider

I have to go with the Polaris , My Dad has the Sportsman 500 he loves it sais its real easy on the back

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm going against the crowd here.I love suzuki and have seen the quad in action thats the one for me.It doesn't have the steering problem of the honda and I have also ridin a polaris 6x6 and have seen the belt slip,don't like it...my 2 cents

87 JX weber,header & 2" exhaust,Camo paint, removable doors.soon to have custom 2"lift
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a King Quad last August and agree that it's not the fastest machine. However, I live in Utah and ride in the mountains mostly. I use mine for hunting and taking me back to the mountain streams for some solitary fly fishing. I was new to ATV'ing and didn't want large, heavy machines to tow around. You don't need a speed demon for true off-road useage. The KingQuad transmission ranges can handle any climb. While climbing, you're (safely) only going 10-15 mph anyway. On flat dirt roads, the King Quad and QuadRunner (my other Suzuki) can cruise at 25 mph easily. Anything faster and the machine's steering gets a little unstable due to the radical off-road tires and short wheelbase.

If you aren't racing and want to enjoy the ride, expect to average 10 mph in the mountains. I just rode part of the Paiute ATV trail this past October, and that number is about right. If you participate in ATV Jamboree rides, they don't ride fast anyway. The idea is to enjoy the outdoors.

I've read that Polaris machines have had reliability problems. And there are something like 36 zerk fittings to grease when you go to lube them. I test rode a Sportsman before I bought the King Quad. It is big and fast and has a nice suspension. After you put it in 4x4 mode, the front wheels have to slip a certain amount before the machine is actually in 4 wheel mode. And the Polaris is big and heavy, and more expensive.

Although they aren't fancy, Suzuki has a reputation for reliability. One of the dealers in my area told me that he has cattle rancher type customers that buy ATVs from him. He said that the Suzuki machines are the only ones the ranchers haven't been able to break.

The other thing to consider is gas mileage. My smaller machines (300cc KingQuad, 250cc QuadRunner) can go 60 miles on a half a tank. If you plan to ride all day, no need to take extra gas. The bigger machines will require you to carry extra gas on long rides.

So I've given you my opinions, good and bad. Yeah, I'd like a little more power. But even my QuadRunner (250cc) takes me anywhere I want to go. I'm very pleased with my choices. Suzukis are reliable and easy to maintain. Adults or kids can ride them.

Good luck on your purchase whichever way you decide.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode