high idle banshee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

high idle banshee

on my 96 banshee i just put on carb tops that the owner before me took off. now it wont idle corectly, it will start right up without the choke but idle really high, i turn the idle screws in alittle and it will go down, i will start it back up and it will do it again or not idle. also the right cyl is blowing some whiteish smoke. i have to check the coolant to see if its low. i replace the plugs, but still blows, if i cover the pipe thats blowing smoke the engine dies, if i do that to the other one it still runs, whats up with that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 10:43 PM
cleartoy

Re: high idle banshee

Which tops are you putting on? The stock TORS units, or the aftermarket standard Mikuni?

Synchronize the throttle slides left to right on the carb tops. Adjust idle at the twist throttle assembly(assumin thats what you are running).

White smoke is normal when 2 strokes are cold. When they warm up, it is usually a sign of a blown head gasket. Do a compression check.

Fix the problem before it gets more expensive.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am running the stock T.O.R.S. unit, how many turns out should the idle screws be out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 12:35 PM

my first recommendation is to ditch the TORS system....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 03:42 PM
cleartoy

I dont remember off the top of my head, but 5-7 turns sounds about right. Im looking in the Clymer manual and they dont list a setting for that.

Try synching the carbs peliminary, then adjust the cable at the throttle to increase or decrease. Once youve found the idle you like, synch the carbs again.

ALso make sure your cable is not binding against anything. For instance, i found yesterday that while turning the handlebars to the left, my throttle went up. Not good!!!!

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 11:42 PM

AirBornBanshee,
Jeep8719 is my brother, he just replaced the TORS eliminator kit that was on the quad with the factory TORS system after the throttle pinned open on pavement during a wheelie and flipped on him, it wasn't a pretty site. Its worth more to run the TORS system instead of ending up in a tree if we had been in the woods. Just thought I'd let ya know why he's keeping the TORS system.

Nick

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 01:03 AM
cleartoy

I hear ya Nick. I have the Mikuni standard caps, and i had the throttle stick on me the other day. Luckily i was able to control it.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 11:17 AM

I understand that, I have hit a tree before and it hurts...I also have had the throttle stick on a TORS system...I dont believe that will stop that from happening...The TORS systems tends to cause more other misc problems then anything. But it is each to their own and I am not one to pass judgement...

PEACE

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode