Purchasing a new ATV... HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Purchasing a new ATV... HELP!

I'm about to buy a new 4 wheeler. It will be used primarily for hunting and sometimes for joyriding (No jumping or wheelies, horseplaying, etc). I'm very swayed towards the Polaris Magnum or Sportsman models. Can someone support my choice or turn me on to another company's vehicle? I'm still very open in this decision. I started looking at Hondas then Arctic Cats, now I'm leaning towards the Polaris. Any input is welcome and appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Purchasing a new ATV... HELP!

Tiretool, I was in the same dilema a few months back, Almost exactly, minus the artic cat. I looked at Ranchers, Rubicons, Grizzlys and Polaris.
The grizz, well, lets just say its looks wern't me. I wanted an auto 4x4 for huntining and trail riding, but still wanted to slide thru the coners and make the tight technical turns you can make on a 2wd. Hondas don't offer selectable 4wd, Polaris does. This is important when it comes to cornering and wear and tear. the honda has a 10.5 foot turning circle, the polaris is 6.5 ft. After that it was between the sportsman and the magnum. The '00 sportsman has fully independant suspension. To me it seemed costly to fix and the rear axles are at a very extreme angle. (cv joints ain't cheap) so I chose the Magnum. Very happy with the bike, it does everything I want it to do. I added a 2000lb winch,and a front bumper. so far I have used the winch on two hondas and a Kawasaki, both 2wd, that could not go were I could.

Ride it like you stol' it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think a kodiak would suit you. good power slectable 4wd good handling isnt real heavycan turn sharper than any other 4x4 and reliable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 03:05 AM
raptor_rider

From what I can tell as yo what your looking for your in the right neiborhood polairis is a fine machine, If I were looking for a machine to do what you are looking for I would pick the sportsman, My father (65 yrs old) (with a bad back) has the sportsman uses it for hunting was climbing shale rock hills with no problem , and after riding all day said his back felt great (the independant suspention) good luck with your choice,and before making that final decision dont forget to look at the Yamaha Wolverine (it weighs alot less)

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say go with Polaris, I have a magnum and it is GREAT, and I use it for everything form climibing rocks to race it around and it is great, I also have a couple differant Honda's, and I say there good too, But the polaris rides SO much better. You can't beat the suspension either. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode