polishing aluminum - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

polishing aluminum

i was wondering how hard it is to make aluminum parts super shiney and how long it keeps its luster...i want to try to pollish my aluminum swingarm gaurd and any other aluminum parts i find to make them shiney...what all is involved and will it lose its shineyness being in a high impact place like a swing arm gaurd? thanks guys!

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: polishing aluminum

If you want to get crazy shine, get some of the Blue Corral metal polish from your local automotive store. It is in a white bottle and the liquid is blue. Put some of that on some steel wool and rub on aluminum. The excess liquid will start to turn black after rubbing. After you do that, get a cotton rag and put some more liquid on it and rub into aluminum. Finally, buff with terry cloth and viola! Instant light-weight chrome!!! I used to do this to my RM250 before a race and it looked trick. There isn't anything hardly to buff out on my Warrior except the aluminum guard my buddy and I fabricated to cover up the bracket for the headlights.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

does the shine stay or does it go away after it been through the gnarly stuff? hmmm i wonder if it would be hard to pollish my rims with all those like curves and such in there, anyone done this? if it is feasible that would look really trick!

<font color=red>Quench</font color=red> <font color=orange>my</font color=orange> <font color=red>thirst</font color=red> <font color=orange>with</font color=orange> <font color=red>gasoline</font color=red>
<font color=blue>--The Wicked Warrior of The East</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polished aluminum looks trick.... until you ride, then you get to do it all over again. and unless you put something on it to keep it from loosing its luster it will dull just sitting around the yard. Aluminum is soft and every grain of sand or gravel will leave a very fine nick in it so after a day of riding the shine is gone and all your work has gone to waste. If you polish it fine a way to seal it.

Ride it like you stol' it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my days of moto-x, I would only have to polish parts about every 3-4 mos. Granted, a quad takes a little more punishment than the bikes, but I still think polished aluminum looks better than dull aluminum. If you do it right the first time, it'll last a little while. Main thing is(this is a hypocritical statement)to clean your quad after every ride. This keeps the build-up down and rust and corrosion away...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your right about cleaning after every ride, and I think the wheels would probably stay nice for a while, but the brush I think would reak havoc on the bumper. Ya know if it weren't for cooking spray and wd40 I would really hate washing my ride.

Ride it like you stol' it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have an '85 Suzuki QuadSport on which the wheels are gold anodized aluminum and i got tired of lookin' at it that way so i sandblasted the anodization off then got some aluminum wheel polish from a neighbor (he has semi's and uses it to polish his wheels) but i just used a high speed buffer with a cotton wheel and i had a nice shiny set of chrome lookin aluminum wheels in a few hours. the curves were kinda tricky but with some patience i got it done. I'll attach a pic. of it.

all it takes is money
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have an '85 Suzuki QuadSport on which the wheels are gold anodized aluminum and i got tired of lookin' at it that way so i sandblasted the anodization off then got some aluminum wheel polish from a neighbor (he has semi's and uses it to polish his wheels) but i just used a high speed buffer with a cotton wheel and i had a nice shiny set of chrome lookin aluminum wheels in a few hours. the curves were kinda tricky but with some patience i got it done. they eventually lose their shine but it doesn't take near as much work ta make 'em look good again, i just get a cotton rag and put some of the same polish on it and they shine right back

all it takes is money
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dang, pic. was too big

all it takes is money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode