The results are in after rebuild 30/155PSI!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:08 PM
cleartoy

The results are in after rebuild 30/155PSI!!!!!

I just took my Banshee out for the first time today since the rebuild. I had started it in the driveway the other night and let it idle, and it sounded even.

Today i took it out, and it had an off idle bog, and then a little more throttle, and it hit powerband. Well, after a couple laps around a dirt field, it sounded like it ran out of gas and died. I had plenty of fuel in it, so thats not it. I got it started, and continued down the road, then going down a hill, it did it again, and i was not able to restart it. It kicked over too easy, like no compression.

So i took it home and did a compression check, and the left side is 30PSI, and the right side is 155PSI.

The rebuild consisted of a new, trued and welded crank and bearings, bore job to fit .050" Wisecos(cylinders were previously ported)Pro Design Cool Head with 21cc domes, and Toomey air filter.

After the compression check, i got is started for a short time, but it backfired out of the left(30psi) side,and didnt put out much exhaust on that side either. It died on its own. The engine turns over fine, i didnt seem to lose any coolant, and it doesnt seem to be blowing white smoke.

Im thinking along the lines of blown head gasket. Heres the thing, the Cool Head uses O Rings instead of a gasket. Im thinking about buying another set of o rings and replacing the ones that are on there. Assuming when i pull the head that the piston is not melted down.

Any ideas?

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:21 PM
raptor_rider

Re: The results are in after rebuild 30/155PSI!!!!!

that realy sucks Bud, the only thing is everyone can speculate what happend, but when you tear it back down the truth will come out!!!

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bummer man... that really sucks. When you tear it down check and make sure that both of the bore's are truly the same. I've heard in the past that some shops have a hard time matching the bores on the Banshee's. On another note I went down to Timmy Boy today and ordered my A Arms, Steering stem and my works shock's valved for my weight as well as my bikes weight. He is going to custome make the set for my warrior and they will be done in 3 weeks.

I have lot's of toys, 4 Runner, 99 Warrior, Odyssey 96 YZ125 etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:12 AM
cleartoy

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick and tired of this twin cylder ****er, i cant believe it!!!! Id say sorry for the profanity if i meant it.........If i have to buy one more piston for this, im selling it, once it is repaired. Every time this thing breaks, it is a fortune(for me) to repair.

What happened to the good old days of the 85 Honda ATC350X four stroke reliable bike i used to have??????? All i wanted was more power and a fourth wheel! And i just had to have a 2 stroke! UGGGHHH.

Thing is, if i sold this, i dont know what id get to replace it. If i got a Honda TRX250R, id have to modify that as well to get decent power out of it. Im not much for the 400EX. Raptor comes to mind, but ive seen too many corners cut on this Banshee to consider another Yamaha. DS650 is an OX. What i really need is a custom frame with a stock CR500 motor in it. I cant afford that though.....or can I?

Sorry guys, im just SOOOO frustrated i could pull my hair out, and i have lots of it!

Anyways, Jafferi, right on, im glad to hear about the arms and shocks. Deffinitely worth the weight. About the steering stem, is it supposed to turn better, or raise the height of the handlebars?

Welp, ill pull the head off tommorow, and relate the facts.

Thanks for listening to my crap.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cleartoy:

How did you break that new motor in? What pistons did you use? Weiscos need alot of breakin (many heat cycles)!!! As for the O-rings.... They say that you dont have to replace them but thats crazy.... I will run them through rebuild... after that they get changed. Did you do compression check or leakdown test before you rode it? I will NOT ride mine until that is done after a rebuild. It will tell me right away if there is a problem. From what you describe it sounds like you did a 4 corner seize when it first stalled. That happens from to short of a warm up. Weiscos need those heat cycles to basicly temper the pistons. CT racing has a break in procedure on there web site.... Many people say that its overkill but I have used it and it works very well for me.
Did you make sure that you filled the coolant? I have done that a few times myself and almost cooked a new motor. When it was apart did you check the water pump to see if it was still working? Also the shop that bored the cyls... did they just cut them to .050 over or did they bore them to match the pistons? When ever I have anyone bore my cyls I have them match the bore to the piston and then mark the piston to the mating cyl.
That really sux tho..... and I know where your coming from. I too once thought of selling my banshee... wife told me if I did that I would not be allowed to buy another.... With what I have into mine it would cost me a fortune to start over again and I would never get what I already have into it.
let us know what it looks like and I am sure we can figure this out

walter
http://members.home.net/banshee370/

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT
http://members.xoom.com/banshee370/
http://www.kandkatv.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 01:10 PM
cleartoy

What i normally do, is warm it up for 20 min, cool down for 3 hrs, torque the head and repeat 2 more times.

I filled with coolant before the first warm up, and when assembling the engine, i coated the pistons and cylinders with Yamalube.

I first started it up in my driveway and let it idle for about 15 min. That was thursday night.

Monday, i added coolant, torqued the head, and took it out to a field. I started it up, and let it idle till the cylinders felt warm. I rode it casually, about 3/8 throttle, sometimes 1/2 but no more than that. I was cruising in 3rd gear. I immediately noticed an off idle bog or flat spot if you will, then it would hit powerband and pull hard with a touch more throttle. Then on lap 2(about 3 min later) it stalled while riding, acting just like it ran out of fuel.I had fuel in the tank though. It started right back up, so not sure about that. Went over the next bend and corner, and it stalled going down hill. Felt real easy to kick over, but would not start.

As to the boring, im not sure which method he used, however he did mark a left and right piston.

I know about resale value.....from history, when this bike runs right, it is awesome, i just cant seem to keep it running that way. I use 32:1 Yamlube with 92 octane always.

Talk to ya later.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 12:36 AM
cleartoy

Pulled the cool head off, and the domes were fine. The left piston is scuffed\sratched bad, adn rings melted. Cylinder is scratched as well. Rt side is ok.

Welp, im off to the machine shop tommorow. Here we go again.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cleartoy:
Isnt that the same side that keeps letting go on you? There are only 2 things that would cause that on one cyl.......

#1; air leak from either base gasket, intake, or crank seal.
#2; carb plugged or blocked somewhere causing an extreme lean condition.

The bogging that you felt while riding was caused from that cyl seizing. You said that the cyl is scored.... does it look like its at 4 corners? I know the cyl is round but from what you describe it sounds like a 4 corner seize.
Do you have a compression guage? When you get the motor back together and running... let it run for approx 10 minutes and let it cool down... then put the compression guage on that right cyl. Kick it over and wait till the guage stops moving... "leave it there"! let the guage sit for approx 10-15 minutes..... come back every 2-3 minutes and take a reading.... if the guage drops any then you have an airleak. Did you do all of the assembly yourself? Also when you were riding.. how did the power feel? did it feel like it was lacking pwr at all? besides when it stalled. or did it feel real crisp w/ good throttle response?

walter
http://members.home.net/banshee370/

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT
http://members.xoom.com/banshee370/
http://www.kandkatv.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really sorry to hear that! Hope it turns out ok. Good luck!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 05:13 PM
cleartoy

Yup, turned out to be a 4 corner seizure on the left cyl. I took it to the machine shop(Racers Toy Store) and he said that there was either a massive air leak, or a carbuerator circuit is blocked. I think he said to check the air bleed or bleed valve....something to that effect. Anyways he told me to tear the carbs apart and completely go through them cleaning everything out. So thats my next project.

As to the power, it felt boggish off the line like a flat spot in the carb, then with more throttle it cleaned up and hit powerband. I was cruising around at about 1\4-3\8 throttle, and it ran like [censored].

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode