New, Want to get 4x ATV, which one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New, Want to get 4x ATV, which one?

I'd say for all around use, but do some accel in conditions that other don't?
How bout for sand?
How bout Mud & Water?
Thanks, Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2000, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New, Want to get 4x ATV, which one?

I been riding for years since the mid '80's. I used to
ride Hondas but I was looking for more... Then I got a
Scrambler 400 and finally started having some real fun!
Scramblers are the most fun you can have on 4 wheels with
your pants on! If you need a low range get the Explorer
400 4X4. Don't get a 2X4 unless you like getting stuck,
or do some home improvements! Polaris has the most HP
and the best 4X4 system, all wheels get power when you
need it. HP and 4 wheel drive get you down the trail.
Plus Polaris has a free parts manual you can download
off their web site, see who else does that!

'98 Scrambler 400 RCR stage 1
'93 Polaris 350 4X4 w/V-plow
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2000, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i second that motion.

-MV
94 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2000, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris's are alright if you dont want to do any serious water crossin if you like to ride in deep mud and water better get a grizzly,or you will be sittin waitin for your belt to dry out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 12:37 PM

A guy I know up by our cabin has a polaris built special for him and they will cross water deeper then the handlebars without even thinking twice. If you want specs let me know and I can get them for you....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey firecheef, I have seen a few Grizzlys with slipping belts, when the water gets deep. But many more polaris. I agree the Polaris has the best fourwheel drive system. With its ondemand feature. All four tires pull unlike all other quads (except the old Suzuki 280). However the polaris will not hold up if run in mud and water frequently.
The only experience I have with a Scrambler 400 was not a good one. The first weekend the guy went riding the belt chipped some teeth. He had to stay moving so that it would not stop in the bad place. The next time we went riding a beaver stick pushed the plastic cover over the the belt allowing water in. He was revving but not going anywhere. And by the end of the day the master link came out of the chain and was left only with front wheel drive. Needless to say he doesn't ride with us anymore.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now to answer the? For sand you want a fast powerful machine light machine. For mud you want a reliable 4x4.
Suggestion for sand include the Honda 400ex or Yamaha Banshee. For 4x4s any Honda 4x4 350-500 range. The Honda 300s are super reliable but the newer 350-500s have alot more ground clearance. For the ultimate 4x4 check out the automatic Honda 500. $7000 though. The automatic system is hydraulicly (spelling) operated system for superior reliability. No belts to break or slip. I test drove one but the dealer told me not to get on it since it was not broke in. But it should be pretty peppy with a 4 valve 500 motor. The 2 valve 450s are awesome. Gobs of torque.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want a serious 4x4 quad, look no further then a Grizzly. It has the most power, will haul and pull the most weight. Has outstanding "true 4 wheel engine braking", superior ground clearence. You will be able to toy with most other 4x4 quads when it comes to power. I've gone through water deep enough to float mine, and I've never slipped my belt. You don't have to start spinning your rear wheels before the front wheels kick in, like some other quads. I would find this to be a liability not an asset. When you wack the throttle open on a Grizzly, it stands up and spins all 4 wheels instantly, even on hard pack!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode