2WD Capabilities - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2WD Capabilities

I'm interested in a 2WD ATV, but I don't know how much work a 250cc machine is capable of doing. I like to fish on some lakes that are only accessible by rocky, rutted, steep trails. I have been using my dad's 350 4x4 and that's no problem getting in and out of the lakes, but I'd like a wheeler of my own for trail riding, hunting, and pulling a boat in and out of these lakes.

So here's my question, can I get by with a Recon or Beartracker for this type of pulling? Are these geared low enough to pull good and hard or do I need more engine? I'm not sure how much these machines are capable of. As far as traction goes, do chains give an advantage on rocks and dirt, like I may need for pulling the boat up the rocky hills? Will I need to stick with the heavy 4x4 or large displacement 2WD for work like this? Are the smaller 2WD machines going to be capable of plowing snow? I'm talking about a small driveway. It's riding ability in snow isn't too much of a concern, I've got a snowmobile for that. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 06:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2WD Capabilities

Does the 350 4x4 have 2 wheel drive mode? if so,try it in 2 wheels drive.It would be hard for anyone to answer your questions with
a yes or no because of so many variables like,how rutted,rocky,steep? how heavy a boat,your riding ability,speed you can transverse
these areas,I would think any newer 250 would have the power in lo,but as for traction, enough weight to maintain traction as well, is the question
Anyone have a bike like you are thinking about to give it a test?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have driven a Sportsman 500 and in 2WD it seems like it would have enough traction to pull the boat. It's not a very large/heavy boat and motor. There isn't much area to get a run at the hills and get momentum, but I think I would have the traction. I'm mostly worried about enough power. I drove a Moto4 a long time ago and it seemed to be a little under powered or geared too high for pulling, from what I remember. I haven't ridden anything else in the 200-250cc range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I have a 2wd Honda trx 250 (utility model). I put a set of mudsharks on it last spring and they work great. The only time I get stuck is when the rears dig themselves in, and I get hung up on the axle. I've also got a snowplow for it, and it'll handle a good 6 or 8 inches of snow (powder). I used to use chains with the stock tires, but since I got the mudsharks, I haven't used them. As for towing, you would want something larger than a 250. Mine struggles a bit when trying to pull our 6 person popup camper or haywagon around the yard. Then again if it has a high/low range (mine doesn't) you may be able to get away with a 250. HTH

The Duke

There's somethin' women like about a pickup man
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take your dad out to see the new wheelers at the
dealers. When he gets a gander at them shiny new
ones with all the great features get him to buy
one. Then he can pass the 350 4X4 down to you!
Hey, the trickle down theory was the conerstone
of Reaganomics.

'98 Scrambler 400 RCR stage 1
'93 Polaris 350 4X4 w/V-plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode