Need advice on purchasing three ATVs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need advice on purchasing three ATVs

I would like to purchase three new ATVs in the next few days. I have never owned a ATV. I'm 48, my wife is 46 (reasonably athletic), and my 16 year son. We want to use the ATVs almost exclusively for trail riding, exploring,and possibly sand dune riding. Speed is important, but not as important as hill climbing ability. Manuverability is extremely important, we don't want to feel like we're driving tanks.
I'm able to spend up to $5,500 per ATV ($16,500 total). We live in Durango, CO. with elevations ranging from 6,500-11,000 feet. It wouldn't be used in snow. I don't want to under buy, and have to buy a different set of ATVs 1 or 2 years from now.
Questions: 300cc or 400cc?, Honda or Kawasaki?, which models, 4 vs 2 wheel drive? automatic vs shift. Anything else which should influence my decision? Again I would like to make the purchases in the next few days.
Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 03:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice on purchasing three ATVs

In answer to the specific questions:

Probably 400. Although 300s are not bad (namely Honda 300EX), you will probably wish you had bought the 400 after a while. The difference in price between the two (again, this is Honda) is only about $900. Your son will definitely want a 400, but you could probably get away with a 300 for your wife. The 300 still has excellent power and it has reverse (great feature for females). I say this because my girlfriend just bought a 300EX and she loves it. She wasn't into the whole not-having-reverse thing and she is not as crazy as I am on the 400EX. (They're smarter than we are - that's why they live longer!!!)

Stay away from Kawasaki quads. They make great bikes and skis, but not quads. I had a Kawasaki quad about 6 years ago and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Besides, anyone will tell you, Honda is second to none when it comes to durability. They never die.

2 vs. 4WD is completely up to you. Personally, if I were to buy three quads for my family, 2 would be 2WD and one would be 4WD. 2WD quads can go basically anywhere you want to go. Although 4WD quads can go through more, climb more, and pull more, they are not very fun to blast around on. Having one 4WD quad would be a good idea in case you want to tow something or pull another quad out, etc.

As for automatic vs. manual, that too is up to you. For blasting around and jumping, manual is the way to go. Always has been, always will be. But, for torque and ease of operation, obviously, the automatic has its strong points. The reason I say torque is because my automatic Polaris has a belt-driven transmission which keeps the engine at peek on the torque band at all times.

If you are going to go with all Hondas, which I highly recommend, you should get a Rancher 4x4 for yourself (or a Foreman if you want to spend a little extra $$ for a bigger engine), a 300EX for your wife, and a 400EX for your son. I wish my father bought me a 400EX!!

Go to the Honda website to get the statistics for all their quads - you may find something different you like. Also, go to your local dealer. There's no better place to shop than the shop itself. You'll be amazed at what you can sucker yourself into just by seeing and hearing something.

Good Luck - hope I was of some help
-Z71man

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 06:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice on purchasing three ATVs

If i may add to a really spot on post,first i agree one should be a 4x4,you will agree as well the first time you have to extract a stuck
ATV.Second,you cant go wrong with a Honda,and next a Yamaha..And third,equip the 4x4 with a winch,you wont be sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode