Tillamook Dunes, OR - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tillamook Dunes, OR

Has anyone ridden here lately? I want to go next weekend but I can't find any real info on this place. I'm coming from Seattle area. Looking for info on where to camp and ride, better directions to the place, is it worth it to go there? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tillamook Dunes, OR

Been there more times that I can count. The Sand Lake dunes area is an OK place to go ride. It shaves about 2 hours drive off for me (from Fed. Way) instead of going to Florence or Coos Bay.

Directions: Take I-5 South to Oregon...Exit 302B, west to Beaverton, drive west on Hwy 26 until you reach the turn-off for Hwy 6 to Tillamook. Follow that about 73 miles to Tillamook, you'll crest over the Pacific Range crest and follow the Wilson river down what seems to be the longest and curviest road ever know to Man. In Tillamook turn left at the Texaco, which will be Hwy 101 South, go out of town past the Les Schwab, drive about 9 miles and you'll see the signs the for the Sand Lake area, turn right. Drive slow it's a narrow bumpy road, follow that to a 3 way intersection, turn left, follow that about 2 miles to the Sand Lake Grocery and BP ( a note about that in a minute), turn right(again VERY bumpy), you'll follow that to the end. There's a 90 deg corner to the right just before the camping areas(you know you're getting close), there's 3 areas to stay, the campground is closed this time of year. There's two "parking" lot areas that are first come first serve find whatever spot that you can. I prefer the first one, less wind. The other is OK, but more exposed, but nearer and directly next to the sand. OK, I got ya there.

Now, the area is kinda small, really only two "bowls"/hills, lots of idiot holes to climb out of in the tree line and beach access is typically easy. Busy weekends are not uncommon. The big three holidays require pre-registering for passes to prevent over-crowding.

Back to the store. The couple that owns and operates it with their family are plain good people. Forrest is the man. He has just about every part that you would ever need to repair your bike with. Most importantly he doesn't mark his parts way up. Usually I buy parts there to avoid having to pay sales tax, and he always has what I need in OEM parts for the 250R's.

I enjoy going to Sand Lake because it's close, not farting around too much we can get there in just about 4 hours.(I refuse to ride in the mountain ash at Moses Lake so that's outta the question). Also, if I'm trying out a new set-up and break something, Forrest is likely to have it. I'd reccomend going, at least once, some people love it (us) while others will rather drive another 2 hours to get to Florence.....me I'll take Sand Lake for regular weekends and Coos Bay for the long ones.

Have fun.

--Backcountry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for the detailed directions. Is Moses Lake really thet bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The hills are smaller. The crowd can be rough, stupid, and inbred. Mountain ash particles are small enough to get through your air filter (foam or paper) microscopically they are very jagged shaped and reak havoc on engine internals. My uncle worked for Weyerhauser in the 80's, right after St. Helens popped her top, and Weyerhauser was fiending to find a way to harvest the timber that had been blown down. They did try at first but soon realized that the damage to the equiptment was not worth the timber price. They tried everything to keep the ash out, but no luck.

It's mainly the fact that the dust can be so bad at Moses that I don't go. There's always morons out riding, no matter where I go, but it seems that the Mecca of morons is at Moses.

Beverly doesn't have nearly the ash, but it's small, but good for a Saturday's ride. Or leave Friday night, camp out, drink barley and hop water, ride Saturday and come home that evening.

--Backcountry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode