Off Roading Forums banner

Overheating and siezed

1K views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  cleartoy 
G
#1 ·
I went out to the desert this weekend and alledgedly siezed my banshee within 5 min of operation. I had brand new fuel with 32:1 Maxima 927. New sparkplugs. The rt pipe was billowing out white smoke and ran ****ty. The kick starter is locked up and will not turn over. We towed it with my truck and put it in gear and the wheels would not spin.

Ive blown the head gasket twice before ALWAYS ALWAYS ON THE RIGHT SIDE. Whats up with this? Is their smaller coolant passages on that side or what?

Im thinking bigger radiator and also build a large inline coolant tank to hold more coolant.

We checked the trans oil, and smoke came out of there.

I havent checked the plugs or anything, as i just got home.

Any ideas?\

-cleartoy

Got sand?

G
#3 ·
How hard were you running it? I have no info sorry, you know alot more about this stuff than me. You had only been riding it for five minutes and it just stalled hard?

A guy walks up to a whore house and sees a sign. The sign reads "BEAT IT, WE'RE CLOSED".

G
#4 ·
White smoke is coolant being burned. With the cylinders bolted on and the head removed check to see if the top of the cylinders are parallel. A metal ruler and a feeler gauge can be used, same for the head, check in several different directions. The head can be surfaced with #400 sand paper on a piece of thick glass. Hope this helps, it's
time to ride.

G
#5 ·
Another note, my 90' Banshee had a overheating problem blown head gaskets and smoked pistons. The plastic gear that drives the water pump can melt and still drive the water pump at an idle or when you kick it over and watch it with the cover off. But when you open the throttle it stops cirulating. I also rebuilt the top end and had to do it over. Something else to check, have to pull the clutch cover to get to it. Hope this helps......GW

G
#6 ·
cleartoy: from what you have said about smoking coming out from the tranny is NOT a good sign.... to me it sounds like you lost a crank seal and possibly a head gasket at the same time. It sounds like you have a warped head(no pun intended<g>) I have been there a few times myself and its no fun at all(yes i have a warped head)
I personally dont run a coolant overflow bottle and I have not had any problems overheating. My next mod will be a new waterpump impellar since they are very prone to going bad. All I do is run 50/50 antifreeze w/ redlines water wetter and a pro design inline cooler.... since I have went to that setup I have not overheated once.
let us know when you get it torn down

walter

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT
http://members.xoom.com/banshee370/
http://www.kandkatv.com

G
#7 ·
I was jsut about to post the same as Banshee370. If you have blown the rigth side head gasket many times. it is a pretty good guess that it is warped.

"Loofer"
'88 Banshee /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#8 ·
While you have it tore down go ahead and check the up and down end play of the crankshaft and see if you neen main bearings too, since the crank seal my be leaking,

P.S what kind of mods. will you do while you have the engine tore down, now would be the time for Super Lite Pistons and installing a Long Rod kit on your crankshaft for more tourqe

woodsracer
99 cross country banshee
99 dodge quad cab 4x4

G
#9 ·
It stalled as i came to a stop(in neutral).

Thanks for all the tips you guys.

As far as mods go, its already ported and has .040" Pro-X pistons. Im not impressed with these pistons, and will probably go back to the Wiesco. I will do the metal water pump impeller, PD inline splice deal, considering a radiator by Toomey or PD, maybe a larger overflow tank. Maybe a cool head(is Trinity the one to get? heard bad things about the PD unit).

Oh yeah, a guy told me to never switch 2 stroke oils. SO im going back to Yamalube 2R.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.