banshee reeds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

banshee reeds

I was thinking of buying a set of reeds like the FMF torque reeds as my first mod to my 99 banshee. Im looking for more bottom end torque for trail riding. Would this be a good start? Is there any jetting involved in this?

I orderd a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket yesterday, and am getting ready to buy some 22" sur trac tires for better traction down muddy trails.

Stock jets are 200 main and 25 pilot, correct? I was thinking about checking what I have because I noticed this weekend while my buddy was riding it that it smokes a lot. I checked the plugs, and they were both wet, and the white ceramic resistors were pretty black. Im thinking maybe I need to lean it out a little. Any recommendations as to jetting or any other reasons it could smoke so much. Maybe thats normal. It runs perfectly fine, and has about 10-15 tanks of gas through it. I live in Maine, if that helps with what jets to run.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:36 AM
cleartoy

Re: banshee reeds

Stock jets are 200 main and 25 pilot. Those jets are for riding at sea level.
What elevation do you ride at? What fuel ratio do you mix at, and what type of oil do you use?

Are you using the stock air filter and air box with lid? When is the last time you cleaned the air filter?

-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I believe my area is about at sea level, maybe 50 feet above. I use the Yamalube R and mix it at 24:1. The air filter and box are stock. The filter has yet to be cleaned. I had it out this saturday looking at it, and it seemed like it could use a cleaning. Is dishsoap ok to use to wash it? How about oil. Would the oil that you use for a K&N work? I have some of that laying around from my car's K&N.

Is there a K&N that will fit inside the stock air box? I would like to keep the cover on the box as I ride through a lot of mud and somewater. A stock filter wouldnt seal too good without the lid on anyways, would it?

thanks
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 02:11 PM
cleartoy

Start mixing your Yamalube @32:1. I ran 24:1(like the manual says) and it did smoke a little bit.

Yup, dish soap is okay to clean the stock foam filter. I would think KN oil would be ok for it....id ask around first.

Yes and no. There is a KN filter that will mount to your stock box, but theres a couple of glitches. You need to either buy the Pro Design mount to clamp the filter on to, or drill holes throught the stock plastic mount to support the filter. The stock design has some cheap plastic support towards the rear of the filter that does not work with the KN filter. In order for the lid to stay on, you will have to trim the underside of the lid for clearance.

I used to run with the Pro Design mount with KN and outerwear, no lid, and jetted appropriately. I have switched to 2 kn filters that clamp on to the carbs and eliminate the stock air box.

For riding in the mud and the water, deffinitely keep the lid on.

-cleartoy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So mixing 32:1 is pretty safe? Is that the consensus on what everyone runs in their banshees? Would it be a good rule of thumb to mix 32:1 in the summer and 24:1 in the winter?

I cleaned my filter last night and it was pretty grimy. Its drying now.

you dont still have your pro design setup, do you?

thanks
Eric

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, any input on the reeds idea. Is that a mod you've done? Im wondering if it would be worthwhile and a good start.

will mixing 32:1 make any noticable power difference?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 10:08 PM
cleartoy

I have the stock reeds and cages in mine currently.

32:1 is a universal standard for 2 strokes. It is safe and reliable. Some people run 40:1. To each his own. Just make sure and use some good oil.

I still have my Pro Design mount and KN filter, and Outerwear attached to the stock air box...............sitting in the garage. Im running the clamp on KN filters with Outerwears, and loving every minute of it.

Talk to ya.

-cleartoy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 09:03 PM
Pete

I bought the K&N filter for mine and it fit great! It comes with instructions for modifying the stock filter cage to accept the new filter, so you don't need the $90 mount. The plastic end piece from the stocker fits on the rectangular knob on the end of the K&N(I pinned mine on to make sure it stayed), so support for the back is not an issue. The only real concern I had was possible leaks between what's left of the old cage and the airbox. I solved that by permanently mounting the old cage piece to the airbox with screws. Don't overtighten, you want about 1/8" between or the lid won't go on.
The job will take about an hour, and won't cost any more than the price of the K&N. Leaving the junk stocker on will cost much more. They don't seal worth crap.
Pete

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 01:06 AM
cleartoy

Hey Pete, i agree that the stock filter mount can be modified, via screws to attach the top of the stock plate to the box, but as for the rear mount......it will not work with the KN filter.....that little rectangle will not engage to secure the filter.

Nice thought though.

-cleartoy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 11:08 AM
Pete

If I remember, the end cap went on the stocker and turned 90 degrees to lock in place. The K&N's rubber rectangle is turned 90 degrees already so the end cap just goes straight on. To keep the stock end cap on the K&N, I put the end cap on the rubber rectangle and pushed a nail thru the rubber sideways to pin the end cap in place. On my second K&N( its good to have a spare while the other one's being cleaned ), I made a copy of the end cap out of a piece of bedliner and stuck it on with a big glob of blue RTV. Hasn't fallen of yet, and I've been using it for years.
I have the back of my airbox cut off, and can see down in to the supports for the back of the filter. My K&N rests on the support pillars the way the stocker did, with the end cap sitting between the upper and lower supports.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode