2WD or 4WD??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2WD or 4WD???

So, I moving to Vermont next month and am looking for an ATV. The biggest thing I'm struggling with is 2wd or 4wd, as I'm getting lots of conflicting opinions. my initial thoughts are 2wd is more fun sliding thru turns, however I am wondering how good a 2wd would be in the snow? How much snow is too much for a 2wd, or 4wd for that matter? (i know the solution is selectable 2 or 4 wd, but its just an expensive option)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 03:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2WD or 4WD???

I have had my Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 since 1994. I have an adjustable v-plow for it and I take it in deep mud and sand every other weekend. When it comes down to plowing and mud-bogging, you can't beat 4 wheel drive, especially Polaris. It's also good in sand. Even though it has the stock super-aggressive tires, it still hooks-up great. I haven't gotten the thing stuck in any terrain yet and I beat the piss out of it.

So, for your application, go 4x4 and go Polaris.

-Z71man
97 Chevy shortbed Z71, 350, 5-speed, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5 Swampers
94 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 400 - bone stock, but bada$$

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about a Polaris Scrambler? shift in or out of 4 wheel drive with the push of a button, & its very sporty, since you seem to want to slide around turns. Everythings expensive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

every 4WD Polaris is a push button 2 or 4 wheel

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 wheel is fun but, Vermont has 3 seasons only. Snow - November through March, Mud - March through May, and finally
Construction season... If you want to go everywhere, 4 wheel drive is a nessesity. 2 wheel drive severely limits your area
to ride. Plus, you can't do "doughnuts" on ice in 2 wheel. I got up to 42 MPH once in 4 wheel...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

on what? i've hit about 60 on my Polaris. not to be a *****, but 42 isn't that much. on a flat stretch of dirt or sand, you can easily hit 60.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try reading my post again. 42 MPH doing "doughnuts" on ice.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh. gotcha. sorry about the confusion there, chief

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how about the best of both worlds? With the amount of snow your going to see in Vermont, 4wd will be useless in the deep stuff.So my suggestion would be buy a 2wd sport quad 300 ex 400 ex etc. etc. Then get yourself a set of the tracks that there making for snow! All the articles on them say there as good as snowmobiles. This way you can tear it up in warm weather with tires, then kick butt in deep snow with the track kit.(I'll bet the extra money for the track kit works out to about the same as the extra for 4wd?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode