Need Buying Advice(400EX or 300EX) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Buying Advice(400EX or 300EX)

I'm in the market for a new quad. It's gonna be either the 400EX or the 300EX. I am trying to take everything into account here so I don't make the wrong decision, so work with me guys.

Obviously, the 400 will whoop the 300's a$$. It's sounds awesome when someone blasts by on one. And it's only about $1000 more than the 300.

The 300 (aside from the fact that it looks stupid in a race against the 400) is still a fast quad, so I've been told and it supposedly rips apart a blaster. The 300 also has reverse. That is key. I'm a lazy son-of-a-.... and I would hate having to push my quad around.

Someone push me off the middle of the fence. A $1000 difference isn't TOO much, so it's basically a trade off between power and a reverse gear.

I hate indecisiveness.
-Z71man

97 Chevy shortbed Z71, 350, 5-speed, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5 Swampers
94 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 400 - bone stock, but bada$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Buying Advice(400EX or 300EX)

Another factor you should consider is the size difference. The 400 is a few inches longer. If you are tall, 6 foot or so, you would fit
better on the 400. In this case, size does matter. Pushing the 400 around isn't that big a deal.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go for the 400, and the 300 does not rip a blaster apart by that much. I bet after a while you will not miss the reverse, i rode my friends warrior plenty of times and never used the reverse. I myself am thinking of either a 400 or a banshee, the 400 has such great suspension, but man, once you feel that two stroke hit its great, but the 400 has good power. enough of that, Go for the 400.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 03:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking of getting a Banshee too, instead of a 400EX, but since I've dealt with 2-strokes for a while, I'm tired of replacing plugs and having to service the damn thing every season. So I figured, lemme give 4-stroke a shot...

-Z71man

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

400EX HANDS DOWN - I'VE RIDEN MY BROTHER'S 300EX - NO CONTEST - THEY ARE BOTH NICE MACHINES - 400EX HAS A PLUSH RIDE - EXCELLENT POWER - YOU CAN JUMP ANYTHING ON IT - YES IT REALLY LEAVES A 300EX IN ITS DUST - HOP UP A 300EX ALL YOU WANT, BUT IT WILL NEVER GROW UP TO BE 400EX

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as the 400 or the 300, go for the 400. Like the other guy said, size does matter. As for the 400's suspension, I like my banshee's way better. Mine rides smoother and I bump around way less than my friend does on his 400. The banshee feels lowe to the ground and much more stable, even though its 2"s narrower and has .5" more ground clearance. The 400 feels like you are way up on a tippy horse, and uncomfortable taking corners. Take a banshee for a wide open throttle blast through a couple gears, then take the 400. You'll look down to make sure its a 400, not an old 200X. The downfall is the stiffer thumb throttle and a lot more clutchwork.

Anyways, this wasnt about banshee's vs. 400 EX's, so I'll shut up now.

Eric

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys. KEEP THE OPINIONS COMING THOUGH. I like to hear what everyone has to say. I'm going to the Honda dealer on Saturday to see what they have to say and maybe take a test ride or something. I'll keep you guys posted with and BS the salesman tries to give me. It should be fun. But like I said before.....the more info the better, so anyone who has anything else to say or some possible back-up for anyone else's points, feel free to post 'em up.

Thanks guys.....

-Z71man

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 300 ex is a pretty small machine, almost as small as the blaster, but a blaster will beat it in top speed. A warrior wouldn't be a bad choice. they have excellent power and handling. It has reverse and electric start, it cost about $700 less then the 400 ex. The 400 ex is a much better machine then the 300 ex, handling wise and power. Any of the choices though would make a great machine. It basically comes down to brand preference and type of riding.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya know, I'm kinda pondering the blaster too. I think it definitely has the most bang for the buck. It's half the price of the 400 and significantly less than the 300. I have riden a blaster before. They're pretty quick bikes. If I decide to go economical, there's no better buy than a blaster.

-Z71man

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two of my friends have a banshee and a 400ex. Let me tell you a banshee would kill a 400ex overall in acceleration and top end. They have nice suspensions but like you said they are two-strokes and you want to give 4 stroke a try but unless you really race the thing 2-stroke really have less maintenence than a 4 stroke(considiering oil, valve and cam adjustment, oil filter etc). If you keep fresh oil and use good mix a 2 stroke engine will last you a while. My 86 quadracer starts in one kick and the thing is 16 years old. I have also raced my friend (who has the 400ex) and i beat him off the line and i maxed my quad out long before the 400ex but you will never use top-speed on any quad unless you have a long road (which is what we used). I am also 20 pounds heavier.
The 40ex is a nice ride though, it's got a nice suspension, good seat and can do lots of wheelies but i'd rather go with a banshee.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode