Grizzly Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grizzly Question

I have a '00 Grizzly and recently I tried to start it using the recoil starter. The displacement on this ogre coupled with the lack of a compression release makes it a definite TWO HANDER to start. I was able to get a couple good pulls before I myself ran out of juice. My question is, can this monster be push started if need be? If not, has anyone found an easier way to pull start with the recoil. This ol' gray mare ain't what she used to be. ;-) Keep Rippin', Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Grizzly Question

doc, that's a good question which i can't answer. i bought a 99 grizz last dec and had some trouble with the battery. the dealer replaced it & i haven't had any further problems but when i tried to use the pull cord FORGET ABOUT IT! i'm getting up there too, but at 6'4 240# i can still do most of what i used to, but that recoil is a class a bitch. never tried to push start it but i'd also like to know if someone has done that. pull starting is not an option. i'll have to try the cord in the summer just to see if it can actually be done.. not much help, doc, but at least i commiserated. mark

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone tried 20w/ 50w weight oil instead of the 20w/40 yamalube
the manuel sez to use ? My dealer asked me to change the oil after
the first 100 miles, I had to give $17.75 for 3 qts. of oil & filter.
I can get 20w/50 a lot cheaper. Would this be okay to put in the Grizz next time ?
A decompression switch & a hours gauge would be nice, I like changing the oil
after so many hours rather than MILES on atvs & tractors etc.
JJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a big scare yesterday, my 6 day old Grizz. wouldn't start, YIKES !!!!!
Turns out it needed a sparkplug, for it seems, due to driving it at low speeds (putt, putt)
we clogged it up, I cleaned but no avail, the dealer gave me a new plug and VAROOM!!!

Just passing this incident a long to new owners like me.
I guess I'll have to get it up past 30 miles an hour once in awhile.

VVVVV
^(o)-(o)^
..~()~.
...{0}
....V

JJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 03:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, yes the recoil. What a wonderful device. First invented for starting engines, now it's sold on TV by Chuck Norris as some sort of medieval exercise thing. But the recoil was quickly replaced with the kick start. Soon after, most of the population begin carrying an extra tire in the mid section. Chuck, the fitness guy that he is, took a close look at said kick starter to see what could be done. The stair-steppers was invented. Now we could get all the experience of kick starting an high compression engine while watching Chuck kick some Texas bootie.
What would we do without him?

Doc: Tie recoil rope around big rock. Toss rock down hill.

YFS200

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you sure you do not have a compression relief valve or switch?

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/txdoc2
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I, too, have had problems with the spark plug on my thumper. I have about 150 miles on the machine in about a year consisting of pushing 1200# sprint cars around in the pits and on the track of various Pa racetracks. I have found out two things by trial and error: 1. Replace the plug with one number HOTTER. 2. Shut off the fuel and run it dry before transporting. I think the vibration allows fuel throught the needle valve and causes flooding. I have had to remove the plug and replace it or dry it to start Grizz after transport, especially in cold weather. (I have also used it to pull rescue sleds around the Ski area where I volunteer Ski Patrol). Incidently, I am extremely happy with the Grizz. I needed HORSEPOWER for pushing sprint cars, but have been pleasantly surprised by the comfort, utility and workmanship of the Yamaha. Someday I may even have to take it for a ride in the Pa mountains!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best I can tell by the picture in the owners book, the ENGINE OIL drain
plug is towards the left rear of of the crank case that takes an allen wrench.
Does anyone know what the LARGER bolt in the middle of the crank case
that takes a socket is for ? I'm hoping it might drain the engine oil also for
I have a socket that fits THAT bolt.

_/!!!!!!!!\_
^(~)-(~)^
...~()~
....O
....V

JJ

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I learned: The 19mm bolt in the middle of the crank case IS the ENGINE OIL drain plug, the smaller /allen(sp?)
bolt IS not. I took a six point 3/4" socket(which I beleive is .005 larger than a 19mm)
& did the task.
Watch for a spring loaded screen to come out WITH the drain plug.
The oil filter has a male end that is inserted TOWARDS the engine.
Also, I noticed when I took out the old filter , one of the rubber gaskets was stuck
to the oil filter cover. The new filter will have 2 rubber gaskets on each end so make
sure BOTH old gaskets come out before the new is replaced. Hope this helps somebody.

_/!!!!!!!!\_
^[~]-[o]^
...~()~
....{~}........<JJ sez....>
.....V

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2000, 03:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '99 grizz and it has a decompression switch built in which helps a little bit, but not a whole lot.
and you guys with grizzlies need to build yourselves a cage around your oil cooler, it is very easy for a stick to
jump up and put a hole in it .And let me tell you from experience you do not want to buy an oil cooler the cheapest price i found was 385.00, I just took some expanded metal and build a little cage around mine it helps a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode