Banshee Throttle sticking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Banshee Throttle sticking

I have a 99 banshee that screams. I have made all the normal additions to it ie. (Pipes, boost bottle, cool head) and it runs great. But one problem. When ever I hit water the throttle sticks open. I have tried everything. I have even put it all the way stock again and it keeps happening. I can't find anywhere water is getting into my carbs. Some people think it might be electrical, but I have no idea what else to check. Help Please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 02:18 AM
cleartoy

Re: Banshee Throttle sticking

Are you running the lid on your stock air box?

-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes the stock air box lid is on with no extra holes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The throttle cable itself may be hanging up. Try lubricating the cable. The cable could be getting heat from the motor, then when hitting the cold water could flash cool the cable causing it to constrict. This is prob. a long shot but who knows?
Good Luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 07:18 PM
Pete

Sounds familiar. Does it hang open just enuf to make the "idle" about 3 grand? I've been fighting that problem for years on my 91. On mine, it is not the cable. While in the stuck position, I can move the cable up and down with my fingers on each carb.(I have aftermarket caps) It is definitely something inside the carb. If this sounds like your problem, maybe we can compare notes.
Pete

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have found water in my carbs. I tried buffing the slides and it still happens. I have waterproofed every connection on the machine. Do you think it could be electrical?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 06:05 PM
Pete

I don't think an electrical problem could cause it, as the engine needs increased air/fuel to speed up. Until you hit the electronic rev limit at high rpm, the carb is the only thing that controls the speed of the engine.
Could you describe the symptoms better? I can give you lots of ideas, most of which I've tried and discarded, but it might not hurt to approach the problem from another direction? Maybe I didn't go far enuf in trying things.
Pete

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 10:03 PM
cleartoy

Re: Rev limiter on a Banshee

The only rev limiter on a Banshee is the stock pipes! The electronic TORS carb caps are an ignition kill, not a rev limiter. If the throttle gets stuck wide open, then the ignition will be killed

-cleartoy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did you oil or lube the throttle slides before reinstalling them? If the tops of the throttle slides are not sealed tight it will suck in water and dust and cause them to stick, this is what I found wrong with my banshee when my thottle was sticking.

woodsracer

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what should I use to lube the slides? Won't the lube get pushed out? If the water is in the airbox and sucked through the air filter will it end up on the top of the slides where the spring is or will just get burnt with the gas and air?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode