Need Recommendations of Experienced ATV Riders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Recommendations of Experienced ATV Riders

I am looking for a multipurpose quad. I would use it ride trails a bunch, pull a light trailer once in a while, and my wife would use it (machineaphobia). I have a chance to purchase a new 1999 Yamaha Kodiak (2000's are Big Bear) with a winch for about $1000 less than the 2000. It sounds like a good deal but I am wondering about how the Honda, Polaris, or Arctic Cat machines in similar models stack up. The Honda is suppose to be durable, the Polaris has better suspension, the Cat has a better drive train, etc. Can some of you experienced guys let me know what you think?

Kelly McCarthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Recommendations of Experienced ATV Riders

i have a honda. and it has lasted me for a while. the polaris has great suspinchion. i think, if you want somthing that is going to last i would get a 350 honda rancher. because from what i heard the rancher will blow the conpitition out of the water.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kelly, The '99 sounds like a good deal. I was in a similar position earlier this year. I weighed all possibilities and scenarios that I would be using the bike for and came to the conclusion that the automatic was the way to go. Mrs T and my boy occasionally ride my bike and I wanted them to think more of riding and enjoying the ride more than thinking about shifting. What sold me on the Grizzly was it that the sticker was only 500 bucks more. 500 bucks for gas n' go worked for me. No more gear hunting, no more running out of the power band on a hill. Good luck, Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 03:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

All I have to say is that I have had a 4WD Polaris for six years and I have never had a problem, nor have I ever seen a quad that could out-perform mine in it's strong fields.

-Z71man
97 Chevy shortbed Z71, 350, 5-speed, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5 Swampers
94 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 400 - bone stock, but bada$$

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll be honest, this is a biased opinion. Buy the 2000 kodiak, I purchased one for the wife last fall, I AM Impressed for a 'multipurpose' machine.
One of the avt mags already named it ATV of the year, I thought I was buying a women's machine, but for a 4x4 'utility' machine it will impress
alot of people. I got mine for $5575 I thing dollar for dollar it is one of the better deals, it will pull. plow and do 55mph on a tar road and if it is
anything like my last yamy (5years old 4000 miles) it should be pretty reliable. It is also very light weight (something you can't get from a polaris)
on the trails you can throw it around, jump, whoops, quite good for a 'stocker utility' then I pull out my 36foot dock up a 18 foot hill, I didn't think
I would like belt drive since most of my freinds drive polaris and I can't tell you how many times these need trail wrenching, we're hard on our
machines and I can see owning a honda first for reliability then yamy then others then polaris last for reliability. Don't get me wrong I have ridden
alot of polaris's for quite a few miles and I do like them alot in certain instances. Remember one thing you will never ever go wrong buying a honda
though and I love my yamies they are 'all ride and no work' ( alot of my freinds cannot say this ) good luck in you choice, no matter what you get it will
be fun!

mdd

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why dont you buy an Arctic Cat, Polaris, Honda and Suzuki, take the best parts from each and build your own quad....you quad.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My only experience with this type of quad is with the Polaris Scrambler 400. I ride a banshee, and I bought this for my wife. I dont think I could recommend it more. She absolutely loves it. Where else can you get a sporty looking quad, with 4x4, at the touch of a button at that. She had a hard time using the clutch on my banshee, so the Polaris auto clutch is perfect. Its a zippy little machine with plenty of power and it goes anywhere. I think you can go just as fast down any trail as anyone else. I took it in a sandpit and was pretty impressed. You cant hang the wheels on demand, but it'll climb any hill that I'd be willing to tackle. I know racks are available for it, but Im not sure about the hitch for a trailor. Im sure something can be made if not. With a price of 5100 for a brand new 2000, and 4000 for a 1999, you cant beat it if you plan to trail ride with it. It is heavy, but my little wife has no problem hammering it down the trails, and this is her first quad.

just my opinion, but I really like it a lot. It sounds like it would be the perfect quad for you, too.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode