Info to help select a new ATV's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Info to help select a new ATV\'s

I'm considering the Honda Recon, Yamaha Beartrack, Polaris Trainblazer, and Kawasaki Bayou.
Any recommendations as this is my first ATV. I've been a motorcyclist for over 35 years and am
looking for something to do trail riding in the midwest. Not many hills or sand but plenty of mud in spring and fall.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
RRW
Antioch, Il

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Info to help select a new ATV\'s

WHAT YOU NEED IS A KAWASAKI LAKOTA 300. I'VE HAD MINE FOR 3 MONTHS AND IM STILL LOVIN IT. ITS QUICK, HANDLES WELL, AND CAN JUMP REALLY GOOD. BUT ITS STILL POWERFUL ENOUGH TO DO SOME WORK. I GOT MINE FOR ABOUT 4,300. BUT ITS WORTH IT.

J.T.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would get the honda recon, because no matter what other people say, honda is the best. i have a honda and it still runs like the day i rebuilt it. honda will be the best choice. a honda will get the work done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The day you rebuilt it? if you owned a yamaha you wouldn't have to rebuild it

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 12:40 PM

hahahahaha I was thinkin same thing....that was NOT a vote of confidence!!!

First of all...what type of riding are u interested in??? Mostly mud, water??

jumping and speed??
give us more info and we can get a better advice column going here for you.
what part of midwest....fill in ur info so we can get better ideas of ur riding terrain too!!

I am from Minnesota so I know the midwest fairly well

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lets step back and think about this. Mostly mud you say. OK you want to get a machine that is shaft driven (not chain driven) Chains and sprockets don't last long in the mud. Second you want good sealed brakes and bearings. Yamaha utility fourwheelers are known for not being sealed up good. Brakes and bearings will last you 6 months at most if you mud ride frequently. Not many people ride polaris's around here but the ones who do have proplems with belts, brakes and bearings. Suzuki and Kawasaki seem to be sealed good. But the best is Honda. Most Hondas have triple sealed drum brakes to keep water and mud out.
In the order I rate them. 1. Recon 2. Bayou 3. Beartracker 4.trailblazer.

Keep in mind brakes are a wear out item and are not covered under warranty. However everyone with Yamahas are getting thier bearings replaced under warranty. I guess if you could live without brakes and live close to the dealership you would be happy with the yamaha.

I have had the chance to ride all above mentioned quads. The recon is the best handling and probally the fastest. The peppy little 2-stroke on the trailblazer is pretty quik though. The Bayou is suprisingly fast for a 220. I have not ridden a beartracker but I have rode a few timberwolves, which is a renamed beartracker and they lag in every department. The Honda is by far the most expensive. But it is worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode