banshee cooling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

banshee cooling

Hello. I have a 99 banshee that I bought last june and probably only have 8 tanks of gas through. I was wondering how common it is for antifreeze to come out of the overflow onto the pipes? I never drove it hard when it was warm, but a few time it overflowed out on a frozen lake, driving it pretty hard. Is this mostly becasue it was jetted for warmer temperatures, or does this happen even in the summer if you're beating it around a sand pit in 90 degree heat?

Also, I dont want to start any sort of flame war, but my best friend just bought a 400EX. He was gonna get a banshee, but got talked into the honda by the salesman. According to him, its a "far superior" machine. I know I can out power him, but is he gonna eat me on the trails? Id say we are equivalent riders.

thanks for any info.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 11:16 PM
cleartoy

Re: banshee cooling

When going down steep hills, the overflow of coolant spits on the pipes. That pisses me off, cuz i just put on a new set of Fatty pipes. But it wiped right off.. I have found that if i extend the vent hose down farther, like to the lower frame rails, my problems will be solved.

The Honda is better suited for tight forest trails, it simply has more low end torque.

The Banshee is better suited for wide open desert and sand dunes. It has a no low end, has awesome mid and top end.

2 different bikes for 2 different applications.

Go riding with your friend in both areas, and get back to us.

-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I went riding this sunday with two 400 EX's, one warrior, and some big ass 4x4 Polaris. We hit no sandpits, and spend the day on on tight woodsy trails with lots of tight corners, rocks, and mud. This is obviously where the Honda should have kicked my ass, but I cant say that it did. I spent most of the time creeping through in first gear. It was usually at that point where nothin was there for a split second when you whack it. With a little clutch work, the power went to the ground when I needed it. There were two instances where I got stuck and they didnt. I think both were directly related to tires, as Id say the stock honda tires have a more aggressive tread than the banshee tires. In one instance, we were crossing a 6 foot wide river in which they were able to hammer into it and make it up the other bank. Since water and two strokes dont mix, I chose to creep in gently, and didnt have the momentum to make it up the other side. The other instance was my fault for hitting a small angle hill at the wrong spot and sliding off the side. I could have made that if I had better tires, too.

Otherwise, I guess I probably had to work harder doing more clutchwork than they did. I know my thumb wore out pretty quickly, but that'll just take some getting used to. One thing I did notice that was kind of depressing was on a tar road we took to get to another trail. One of the hondas came up next to me while I was in about 3rd gear. We both got on it and stayed side by side right through the bottom of 5th when we had to let off. whats the deal with that. Is the honda that fast, or is there something wrong with my stock banshee?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 02:39 PM
cleartoy

Check your jetting.

Also, when the EX came up on you, were you just cruzin in 3rd(not on the powerband)? You should be able to whack the throttle, and take him.

-cleartoy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I was just cruzin. When it came into the powerband, I caught him, but then through 4th and 5th we stayed together. I think I might have been shifting too early, and not riding the powerband out.

As far as jetting, can you give me a rundown on it. I realize its as simple as changing sparkplugs on a car, but I've never done it and this is my first 2-stroke. What jets come stock, should I have the stock size, how do you change them (stock airbox for now) and how do you tell what size you have?

Oh, and what is a good airbox to up grade to. I hear bad stiff about the stock one.
thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 04:53 PM
cleartoy

Stock main jets are #200, pilot jets are #25. Since you have modifications to your bike, you should have bigger main jets. The jets will have the number indicating their size stamped on them. You just have to look closely.

To make a jetting reccomendation for you, i need to know what elevation you ride at. It makes a big difference. So far you told me you have bigger pistons, a milled head with 19cc domes. You also said you have 320 main jets and 35 pilot jets right? You said your plugs were white. That means you are running too lean(not enough fuel) So im assuming you have the stock lid on the stock air box, and stock pipes. If all that is correct, or incorrect, let me know.

If run with no lid on the air box and or aftermarket pipes, you will also need bigger main jets. Im not a fan of larger pilot jets. It made my bike stall and foul plugs at low speed like crazy.

Since you have the stock airbox for now, it is a bit of a chore to change jets.
First, drain the carbs(theres a little phillips head screw on the bottom of the carbs accessible from the left hand side of the bike).

Next remove the rear fender and plastic foot guard extensions. Remove the silencers(i never had stock pipes, so it may be neccessary to remove the stock head pipes as well).

Next, remove the coolant resivoir that rides on the back of the air box, being careful and removing the cooolant lines and electrical wires from the side of the air box clips(right side).

Next, loosen the clamps on the air box to carbs, and remove the air box. This is a real pain the way i remember it. You have to first push forward because there are some little tabs on the frame that hook to the sides of the air box. You will get well aquainted with those the first time you do this. And you will do it several times till you get the jetting right.

Next, loosent the clamps that hold the carbs on to the inake boot.

Pull the carbs, and take the left one, and tilt it on its side(the cross choke tube will seperate at this time, but its no big deal) remove the float bowl with the 4 phillips head screws. Carefull of the floats.

You will see the main jet in the middle. Its a 6mm hex. Take the little white plastic deal that surrounds it off 1st. It just slips off. Unscrew the old jet, install the new one. Do not overtighten it! ITs brass.

Installation is reverse of removal.

Now for some air box upgrades...

1st one i did was to pull the lid off. When you do that, the stock(crappy) filter has no support. I got the KN filter with outerwear and the Pro Design mount that bolts securely the front of the air box. Im sending a pic of that.
That better than stock for seals at that point, and lets way more air into the motor.

It can still leak in between the middle of the intake between the forward side of the filter and the housing. It is still a pain to remove for jetting purposes however. WHat i did was remove the airbox all together, and install clamp on KN filters with outwerwears. See my next post for a pic of that.
Now jet changes are easy, and i have access to the rear shock. When changing jets, i simply remove the filters and the seat(not the plastic or the pipes) and its a done deal.

Another upgrade is the Toomey 2 into 1 intake with an outerwear. That would me my next choice if i didnt use the clamp on KN filters. The Toomeys claim to fame is more low end torque due to "restoration of needed intract length".

Good luck

-cleartoy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-1068-Mvc-006f.jpg (45.5 KB, 26 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 04:55 PM
cleartoy

Re: PIC 1 of Clamp on KNs

Pic one

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-1069-Mvc-004f.jpg (42.4 KB, 27 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 04:56 PM
cleartoy

Re:Pic 2 of Clamp on KNs

pic 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-1070-Mvc-005f.jpg (36.1 KB, 25 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 06:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey clear toy could u post a full pic of your quad it sounds like it is a pretty nice setup

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 02:02 AM
cleartoy

hey, all. I have 2 problems. First, i cant find the disc that i had pics of in the sand.

I have a few, but are over the allowed 50K file size. I could email.

Just let me know if interested.

-cleartoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode