1 lean cylender on Banshee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 lean cylender on Banshee

I have a 1999 Banshee, and I think I have 1 lean cylender, left plug is dusty brown (normal) and right plug is grey (lean) any Ideas why? my carbs are stock with 25 pilots, needls in #4 clip position and mains are 290. All carb intakes are tight and carbs are clampt down tight, what else could make 1 cylender lean out?

thanks woodsracer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 02:51 PM
cleartoy

Re: 1 lean cylender on Banshee

Are you running the stock air box?

I would make sure the reed cages are tight, and that the crossover pipe is sealed well.

I will have to think more about this.

-cleartoy

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Other items to check:

--Pinched fuel hose to one side.
--Leaking base gasket
--Leaking head gasket

Grey is troubling to me....it's hard to sit here at this computer and dictate what to look for objectively without looking at the plug myself. But grey can be a sign of detonation or partial meltdown of a piston. The grey comes from the alum. of the piston. Perform a compression check, if it's within 5-7 psi of the other side I would then continue looking for other causes as mentioned.

Let us know what you may find, good luck;

--Backcountry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reed cages are bolted down tight and crossover tube is clamt tight also, I have run it a long time hourly wise, the right cylender always looked a lighter tan color than the left cyl. and havn't had any trouble till I had a guy pacing me on the hwy. it was very cold that knight and it ran 85 MPH and I coasted into the garage afterwards and imeadiatly did a plug check, as I do after every race, but, why only 1 cylender? could carb syncronization be the cause?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 99 banshee and it did the same thing and eventually it broke a piston so if i were you i would be really careful and make sure it doesn't start knocking any at all if it does I would have it checked out immediatly, my friend also has one that did that same thing so be careful, the stock pistons are not strong at all

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 06:00 PM
cleartoy

Did somemore thinking about the grey, and as Backcountry said, the grey means melt down and possibly seizure is the future. THats what my plug looked like on one side when the piston melted and broke. There was also detenation and one side of the head had deep deppresions in it.

If all our suggestions come up negative(or if the psi is low on that cylinder) i suggest pulling the head off, and looking at the domes and the tops of the pistons. Its really easy, and not time consuming.

-cleartoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode