DS650....finally saw one run.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DS650....finally saw one run....

Just got back yesterday from Glamis....while sitting at the bottom of Oldsmobile Hill, enjoying a cold one, I see a 400EX, an ATC250r and a new DS650 racing up the hill. The only battle was between the 2 Hondas and the old 250r won, not by much though. HOWEVER, the DS650 was a complete joke, it wasn't even near them. It looked like it was going the speed of a 200X going up that hill, I couldn't believe my eyes! The bike was a toad folks......can't come close to a 400EX, much less a Banshee. A Banshee would've run circles around it! He never came back down so I never got a better look (probably embarrassed)...

Howard O. - Vista, CA
<font color=blue> '00 Banshee </font color=blue>
<font color=red> '87 CR500 </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

somethings wrong there

HA! I have seen a DS650 pass a TRX250R before. That rider you saw must not be that good at riding or maybe he
had to go slow for some unknown reason. I have tried out a DS650 and it was great. Maybe not as much 2-stroke take off as the banshee, but thats because the DS is a 4-stroke, but still, it has better mid range and top end. Even in DirtWheels magazine the DS650 passed the banshee
and 400EX in a drag race. The other riders must of been better at riding quads. I mean, if you put a pro ATV racer
on a 300EX and a new commer to the sport on a 400EX, accorse the 300EX would win, because of the rider.
Anyways, my money is still on the DS650, not to say that i dont love the banshee, because I think the banshee is on eof my fave
quads, I`m just tellin it like it is.

,Tim ThreeWheelio Warburton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: somethings wrong there

Well, I think if you're correct, the DS must've had something wrong with it because they were even at the bottom of the hill and the guy had it nailed, as did everyone else. Didn't require much skill to go straight up the hill! As far as the test in the magazine, I think it was completely bogus considering they were racing in sand with knobbies. Anyone with any experience whatsoever knows that a Banshee will just sit there and spin w/out paddles! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to 'dis' the DS, I think it's great that they are building the bike....it's just that I expected a little more out of it. I guess I shouldn't form an opinion just after seeing that one run....

Howard O. - Vista, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DS650....finally saw one run....

Unless things have changed, last time I was at Glamis there were a significant number
of whoops at the bottom of Olds. Big ones. If you can go WFO though these you're
a better rider than I. It's possible the Big Boy wasn't up to the task of negotiating
the whoops like the ATC250R or 400EX. Usually I can hang with a Banshee until
the whoops end, then it's bye-bye Banshee, hello sand storm. I'm surprised the 400
could hang with the trike. It has a big weight advantage

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DS650....finally saw one run....

Oh yeah, the whoops are worse than ever, but they were even steven past the whoops.....at least it looked that way, maybe the others had more momentum. I was really impressed with the 400, he was on the 3-wheelers butt the whole way, small win by the ATC! I really like those 400's, I think they're great bikes.

Howard O. - Vista, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode