Join Date: Oct 2009
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice for teenager purchase
I live out in a farm area and have three sons, ages 12, 13, and 15 (they weigh between 110 and 150 pounds). We have a couple hundred acres of land around us that we can explore thanks to a kind farmer who lives next door. I was thinking about getting them some combination of dirt bikes and quads for Christmas. I have very little experience riding myself so I'm looking to learn from others.
My plan is to get two vehicles so I can ride with them and supervise what's going on. I don't want them breaking their necks- just go out and have some fun. So here are my questions:
1. Should I get ATV's or dirt bikes for them? Is one easier to learn to drive than the other?
2. If I get them ATV's, what size should I get and can they safely have two riders?
3. New or used? If I go used, what should I look for? I don't want to spend more than $5k for two vehicles.
4. Would it be better to get one ATV and one dirt bike since the ATV's appear to be easier for beginners?
5. In the winter, I understand pulling a sled in the snow behind an ATV is a blast. Do I need a certain size ATV to do this?
Thanks for the feedback,
A Dad in virginia