Looking for advice for teenager purchase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice for teenager purchase

I live out in a farm area and have three sons, ages 12, 13, and 15 (they weigh between 110 and 150 pounds). We have a couple hundred acres of land around us that we can explore thanks to a kind farmer who lives next door. I was thinking about getting them some combination of dirt bikes and quads for Christmas. I have very little experience riding myself so I'm looking to learn from others.

My plan is to get two vehicles so I can ride with them and supervise what's going on. I don't want them breaking their necks- just go out and have some fun. So here are my questions:

1. Should I get ATV's or dirt bikes for them? Is one easier to learn to drive than the other?
2. If I get them ATV's, what size should I get and can they safely have two riders?
3. New or used? If I go used, what should I look for? I don't want to spend more than $5k for two vehicles.
4. Would it be better to get one ATV and one dirt bike since the ATV's appear to be easier for beginners?
5. In the winter, I understand pulling a sled in the snow behind an ATV is a blast. Do I need a certain size ATV to do this?

Thanks for the feedback,
A Dad in virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 AM

This has to be one of the worst forums I have ever been apart of as far as feedback goes. Most posts on here have over 100 views and no feedback. But I will give you the best answers I can. Good luck!!!

1. Should I get ATV's or dirt bikes for them? Is one easier to learn to drive than the other?
4 wheels is more easy than 2. But you can always mix it up a bit. 1 dirt bike and two quats or whatever.
2. If I get them ATV's, what size should I get and can they safely have two riders?
As someone who grew up on dirt bikes/ atv's go big! If you go with atv's the kids can grow into them. If you go small, in one season you will have to get something with more power cuz they will want it for sure. By the time I was 7 I was on a Banshee.
3. New or used? If I go used, what should I look for? I don't want to spend more than $5k for two vehicles.
Used... make sure it runs. Check the oil and look for anything that seems as if it shouldn't be there. ATV's are built to last. Never buy a china bike!!!! make sure its Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Polaris... big name bikes!! You wont be happy wioth china bikes and can never find parts for them.
4. Would it be better to get one ATV and one dirt bike since the ATV's appear to be easier for beginners?
YES!!!
5. In the winter, I understand pulling a sled in the snow behind an ATV is a blast. Do I need a certain size ATV to do this?
As I said before... go big. 300cc and up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Novice

Second Response

Hey I responded to the same post in the dirt bike thread.

I agree with what Live2Ride said, just have to watch the age limits. You can personally buy what ever you want for yourself just don't broadcast ages of riders to the dealer they will be forced to direct you to smaller machines.

I suggest an ATV for pulling sleds and yes it is a lot of fun, try pulling a water tube behind the ATV when you get one, Now that is fun!!!

FOURWHEEL DRIVE is the way to go if you want to pull sleds. check this one out on Honda East's website.

ONLY $5299 call for details 877-437-1631

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode