2004 Foreman 450es shift problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

2004 Foreman 450es shift problems

Hey to all you out there..I am new to the web site and looking for some help with my 4 wheeler. I have an 2004 Honda Foreman 450es. It has been a great machine to ride. I got on it last week to take it out...Started up just fine...let it warm up for a few min...I hit the shifter on the handle bar...NOTHING...It will shift with the manual shift lever. I did the code check and it flashed 3...which is an angle sensor problem. I pulled the ECU out got to the wires and did the checks..No Continuity....none on any of the wires...Books says it is a loose wire somewhere. I guess that means I got to pull the whole front clip off and trace wires...anyone else have this problem ?? The book also says to replace the angle sensor..that is 55.00 $$ part...holler back if you have any ideas I may have over looked....Thanks for your time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Shifter problems

Think I found the problemm.....No Continuity...Between the angle sensor and the ECU. The black wire with a red stripe has no Continuity. The other 2 wires do have Continuity. So I guess I got to pull the wiring harness out and find out where the wire has a break in it. I really hate to pull the whole harness out just to fix one wire. The other option is to cut the wire and wire in a new wire from the ECU connector to the angle Sensor connector. I will just put the new wire on top of the wiring harness and see if it works. Hopefully that will fix it...I have the whole front of the 4 wheeler off, gas tank off, and other plastic parts as well. It was a real pain getting it all off, Now I just hope it works. I hope it all goes back together....If any of you guys have had any problems like mine holler back...I am sure we could share some notes...Thanks...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Problem fixed...

Just an update on the shift problem...I checked every wire connector, resistance checks, continuity checks, voltage checks all was good. So I took it to my Dad who works on bikes and restores them. He did the checks with me..The problem was in the fuse box, the motor fuse did not seat in it's place like it was supposed to. It was a little loose, you could wiggle the fuse box and you would get a voltage reading of 12.6v...wiggle it again and nothing...so the negative side was loose. Dad and I moved the tabs back in a little and made the fuse fit tight...That was all it was...Thank goodness that was all it was...If that had not worked it was down to the ECU or the Shifter motor...I hope this helps with anyone who has had this problem. If you ever need help working on this type 4 wheeler just hit me up and let me know. I have taken every wire, connector, etc... Loose and checked it...not to mention I have the whole front of the 4 wheeler off as well. So I got a crash course on 4 wheeler repair and did it all by myself...The local dealer told me it would be around 500.00 to check it and fix it. They have not even looked at it...what a rip off !!! So if any of you guys every need any help feel free to hit me up...See YALL !!

C...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode