2 & 4 stroke piston tech ? MFGs, materials etc. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Bellocchi

Exclamation 2 & 4 stroke piston tech ? MFGs, materials etc.

2 & 4 stroke piston tech ? MFGs, materials etc.
So with the different MFGs out there and different process in making pistons what is the best.
I would assume there isn't a solid answer for this.
They all seem to state they are a forged process and the biggest difference seems to be material used (some have more copper & ? ) some are coated.
However what piston MFG seems to have the tighter tolerances?
( I see Athena calls out for tolerances of just .005MM according to Dennis-kirks website - although I cannot find a site for "Athena" to verify this)

I typically run Wiseco's pistons and have not had one shatter but they seem to wear fairly quickly.

(I let the bikes warm up before I will ride them)
I've heard that some pistons are more temperamental to warm up cycles and will cold seize if not allowed to idle for a few, but again I don't run the crud out of them cold.

A little background on the bike currently working on: 91 YFZ-350 Ive rebuilt it approx 4-5 times its currently going 90 over (the last time before it needs sleeved) approx. .002" clearance upon initial setup and break in each time. Have been running wiseco pistons W/ stock head. Ported intake/exhaust. polished exhaust.

Any Input, possibly some with engineering & materials background is welcome! I also play with a couple 4 strokes and seeing the different MFG out there lately and the process makes me wonder if any gains in reliability or performance are seen or even possible.

(cross posted from pirate: 2 & 4 stroke piston tech ? MFGs, materials etc. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board )

Thanks for any info ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode