Beartracker carb or valves - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
lafirefighter

Beartracker carb or valves

My brother in law asked me to help his boys get a 02 Yamaha Beartracker running again. He had just spent $200 rebuilding the carb and when I got it, it would only run with the choke pulled 1/2 way and was popping from the carb. The carb was not shoved all the way on the boot at the intake and I thought this was going to be easy.

I have since pulled the carb apart and cleaned the crud out that was left behind. Did find crap in the air pilot jet. It will now start, smokes quite a bit, and will idle with no choke once warmed up. The carb is extremely sluggish. I mean when I push the throttle 1/4 on it takes about 2-3 seconds to raise the rpms. It runs good once past that but popping like crazy from the exhaust on deceleration. I have no idea when the valves were last adjusted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Check to see if the spark plug is black or white or brown. A white spark plug means that it is not getting enough fuel and the needle on the diaphram needs move up one allowing more fuel to go into the carb and into the motor if it is black then it is getting too much fuel and the needle on the diaphram needs moved down one blocking some fuel from going into the carb and into the motor to raise the needle move the clip on the needle down one and to lower the needle move the clip up one. If the spark plug is a light brownish/blackish color then the air fuel mixture is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode